Have you ever recived a Bass as a Gift?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 16, 2004.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I personaly havent, have you?. Share with us your Bass Gift Story.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wish. No one would ever spend that much money on me. :(

When i graduate high school, my parents are going to get me something so maybe if i need something then i can ask for it, whether its a new amp or bass, i think theyd be willing to spend almost $1000 on a big gift because they did so for my brother.

Until then....

3. My GF at the time was nice enough to get me a P-bass copy..
    the thought itself was really sweet.. but there was nothing but deadspots from fret 10 onwards.. and i think the truss rod was broken.

I stripped it for parts.. and converted by crappy 5 string into a 4 string..

The neck was my favourite.. Weapon of choice. a solid hunk o maple.. watch out!
  4. My parents bought my first bass for me, although I chose it. I don't know if that counts as a gift!
  5. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    I got a Bassix Jazza EUB as a joint Xmas/Bday gift from my parents this year. It's great, a lot of fun, and a nice transition.

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I picked this out for my HS Graduation Present from my Parents back in 1986:

7. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

My wife bought me:
    Ken Lawrence Brase 5 Myrtle top, poly finish
    Lakland Deluxe 55-94 quilt maple with sunburst
    SWR Baby Blue II

She is extremely supportive of my musical pursuits and is always there for me. The amazing thing is that she has put up with me for so long - this summer is our 28th wedding anniversary!

BTW - the bass $ = jewelry $ (or other stuff) has been in place for a while in our home!

Dan K.
  8. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Do you mean a gift from someone else or

a gift from me to me??
  9. I havent gotten a bass as a present but I got my present amp setup for my bday/xmas.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My Mother bought my first bass and amp for me as a Christmas present. The bass was an unnamed Korean jazz copy and the amp was a 50 watt univox with a big 15" speaker that was very loud and sounded quite good.
  11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Similarly to Dan K, A few years ago, I "bought" my wife a ring and she "bought" me my Kay DB. :)

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    3/5 have been gifts..

My first and second were christmas presents...

My 3rd was one of those "you play well enough to need an upgrade"

i bought my 4th and 5th... mostly. :p
  13. yes, but i bought it myself for myself, as with all of my gear...i remember as if it was yesterday, it was the end of october, starting on november i had just gotten my full time job, i walked into music headquarters, picked out 3 bass and plugged them all into a roland db900 one by one, first was a fender 50th annaversary american deluxe jazz, is wasnt the one, then a g&l asat, that was alright, then a/my kubicki ex factor with dead strings, it was juuuuust right, blew the others away too ;) ..now its my pride and joy...they said whichever one i chose i could have for $2000aus...and i stand by my decision, they were all 2nd hand except for the g&l
  14. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've gotten a few... my first was a Warwick Streamer Std. 5 string, the one with two pickups, all passive. That was for my 21st birthday and X-mas combined, I loved it for a while but grew tired of its, to me, inability to be versatile. Interestingly my 2nd bass gift was a Warwick too. This time a Corvette FNA Jazzman 5 string and that has been nothing short of outstanding since I bought it. Tremendous tone no matter what I do with it, extremely versatile, a chameleon basically. And I just changed strings and BOY can they have one HUGE effect on how it sounds. I went from Hi Beams to Fat Beams and it's WAY thumpier now. And they haven't even broken in yet.... Nothing but good times guys :bassist:
  15. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    God....I wish!

You offering?
  16. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    My parents bought me my first bass in 1979. The flashbacks have mostly subsided but every once in a while when I see an EB3 copy I get the shakes. It was made by Raven is that helps you understand :).

17. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Sure. A colleague at work decided he didn't want to move his bass stuff into his new apartment so he gave them to me just today. I got a mint condition MIM p-bass in a Fender hardcase and a 9.5/10 Fender BXR 100 combo. I guess that's a gift.

Glenn D.
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Never thoguht id see a Takamine like that.,.,..hah nice.
  19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    For Christmas 1978 I was given a Peavey T-40 from my parents.

In 1990, a friend gave me an early 70's Fender Jazz, that he found in a pawn shop, for my birthday. It was in pieces. The frets had been filed down to the fingerboard, the finish had been stripped off. There wasn't any hardware or pickups. With the help of a local guitar tech it was re-assembled and it was my main bass for close to 10 years. It's 'standing by' if I ever need it. :)

20. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Frets filed down..attempted fretless? heh