Have you ever sliced your fingers playing bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by brink22, Nov 18, 2003.

1. brink22

Oct 5, 2003
    Last week at my band practice, after about four or so hours of heavy practicing, all of my fingers killed. I looked down at my right hand and noticed that my two plucking fingers were lightly bleeding... and now I have massive callises. :) Perhaps I should pluck a little softer.

So do you ever bleed for the music? :)
  2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I personally haven't bled while playing (at least not my fingers). However, earlier this year (when I was still in HS), John from Normal Like You (bass/vocals) bled like crazy from his left-hand fingers when they played a set at my high school. It was one of the most impressive things any of us had ever seen (that and the fact that they were/are AWESOME in every way). Check them out on mp3.com while it's still up. Just be aware that the original version of "patience is a virtue" is MUCH better (why did they mess with perfection?).
  3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I lost two fingertips off my right hand the very first time I really dug in and played hard. Haven't had so much as a blister since then.
  4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    When I first started bass the skin on my right hand two fingers came compltley off. Just the pad tips, very sore and took a wile for it to heal. Now they are rock hard with callises.

From time to time I try to use three fingers to pluk, That will make my ring finger sore and tender. Its getting more callise the more I use it.
  5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    If you have to hit the strings that hard, perhaps
    you might try using a pick..... Works for me!

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I know a few guys that play hard and they don't rip their fingers apart. It is worth taking a look at your technique and see if maybe you can change it a bit to protect your fingers. Also, a different set of strings might help. Finally, the suggestion of using a pick might not be a bad idea.

BTW, I don't personally use a pick, but I do see its usefullness.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have gotten them pretty sore, but never made them bleed.

I have sliced myself on hardware and broken strings. I had a bass once that had a sharp place on the bridge. I tried to file it down, but kept cutting myself up every time I played it.
  8. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I bled while playing once, but not on my fingertips, it was on top of my finger, above my fingernail.
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The only time I've actually sliced a fingertip was when I tried to adjust the string mute on my MusicMan Cutlass. The old MM mute spring was a piece of razor sharp sheet metal.

As for blisters: sure, I've gotten my share. Never to the point of bleeding, though. Whenever I got blisters I'd switch to a pick until the blisters healed. I suggest you do the same! After awhile your fingertips will toughen up and you'll be able to use fingerstyle exclusively.
  10. When i first started playing bass (all of 6 months ago) my fingers bled when i first started playnig fingerstyle(i picked VERY!! HARD!!!), thats the only time i have bled, but i did once pop a blister while playing and the "juice" ran all over the fingerboard and strings, not fun.:bassist: :meh:
  11. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    I've never "sliced" my fingers while playing. But in one case when I hadn't been playing in a long time, we had a show and got together for one rehearsal beforehand. Got a bloodblister on one of my picking fingers at that rehearsal and it popped on the first song at the gig. Finished the song (which was extremely painful), got a piece of ductape from the soundman and taped it up to finish the set. After the set I noticed there was a really cool airbrushed-looking spray of blood all over the pickguard. :D

I've sliced my fingers working on equipment. And once when my singer decided to bring his brand-new 6-foot Conan sword to practice. :eek:
  12. yup, ive been playing for 6 years and my finger on my lift hand are still all messed up pretty bad, i have heard of people using super glue until they can let the wounds heal properly, i have a show on monday and im most likely going to do the same