1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

have you ever started a band from nothing?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Icey101, Aug 3, 2012.

1. so you come up with a concept....learn a set of songs by listening to mp3s....then advertise and get your muso's together, before you know it you have a full working band

every done something like that?

2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    No, not exactly like that, or maybe rather something like that, only with originals.
    I had a a bunch of riffs laying around, so I started a band by putting up adds, and made them into songs.

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Started to - was going to be a power trio cover band. Then the drummer, who controlled the practice space, left for another project and the other two of us decided to move on. Gave me some sense of what's entailed though - practice space, song selection, managing people, getting a PA - before you even get to gigging and handling money and schedule.

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Yes. It's a lot of work, but it's rewarding if you can get the right musicians.

5. Factor88

Factor88

Jun 21, 2011
    Tried and failed a couple of times. Always got frustrated by how long it was taking and it was easier and more financially positive to just join an existing working band that I fit in with.

As I see it, when you are trying to find musicians to be in a start up band which aims to work, you will come across these categories:

1) Those who aren't good enough to be in a working situation,
    2) Those who are good enough but don't WANT a working situation,
    3) Those who want a working situation and are good enough but something (family, job) prevents them from being involved in a working situation,
    4) Those who are good, want to do it, and have the time.

Obviously 1,2,and 3 do you no good. And the problem with #4 is by the time you find 2-3 more musicians, learn the material, and get consistent bookings, people in the #4 category will likley have gotten a bunch of offers from bands that are already working. And then you are out of luck..............

To me, the easier course is to join a band that already is sort of established and then insidiously take over and run things your own way. But this only works if you bring something more to the table than just bass playing (e.g., sing lead, can get bookings, etc.)

6. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I jumped into a start up that turned into a great originals band. It was actually pretty easy and I pretty much feel like I won the lottery with this band. Even when we lost our first drummer the next drummer was at our next rehearsal and the transition was practically seemless. My experience is not typical.

8. was trying to start a country cover band. pretty much for fun. got about ten replies to my CL add from "singers" with no samples of them singing no previous bands and no pa or the like. most they could give me was "I sound like [insert country superstar here]."

Also tried to start a Wednesday 13 tribute band, but only found one guy. I knew that was a long shot tho.

9. hrodbert696

Rule of thumb for tribute bands: if ANYONE ON THE PLANET has to google the name of the band being "tributed" to find out who the hell they are, do not form a tribute band of them.

Kiss, U2, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, the Who, Van Halen, Duran Duran... you can do a tribute band of.

Wednesday 13 you cannot do a tribute band of.

10. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I have no clue who Wednesday 13 is. Could name your tribute band that and probably never a get a cease and desist. Or a gig for that matter...

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ive started a few bands "from nothing". The best story being one where I was jamming with this drummer.
    He called me up one day with an offer for us to jam at a party.
    I said sure, called up three other guys, we showed up and played.
    That band lasted 2 year, we did nothing but improvise rock songs.

12. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I do it all the time. Once in a while I'll get a call from an agent or a bar that needs a band last minute, and I'll put one together. Last one was an agent that was looking for a Blues band to fill an evening for a club in DC for the following weekend. I told them, sure I know one. I made some calls, had one rehearsal and we did the gig. They liked us enough to have us do 2 more dates.

13. Dantreige

Dantreige

Oct 22, 2009
    Wisconsin
    It can be difficult if you are a "newbie" and you don't have a large list of contacts, but it can be done.

Question you need to ask yourself. (And answer truthfully.)

1) Are you a good leader or can you find a person too lead the band?
    2) Can you do promotion and get gigs, or will you need to rely on others?
    3) Can you set concrete goals for your band and make the necessary adjustments for what works and what does not.
    4) Can you be objective and do you know how to listen to others?
    5) Can you provide practice/rehersal space or will you need to rely on others?
    6) Can you provide p.a. or will you need to rent, or play at venues that supply it?
    7) Do you have experience running sound or can you learn?
    8) Can you deal with a member leaving. How quickly are you likely to recover?
    9) Can you front a band or sing or do you need to rely on others to do this.
    10) Can you fill multiple roles in your band? (Instruments and singing.)
    11) Can you adjust your band goals to accomidate the members without loosing sight of the original "mission."

The more you can do that does not rely on other members the easier it will be. People will come and go. The more stable you can be, the easier it will be to keep/replace new members.

Good luck!

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    My wife and I did with this band.

15. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I was in a band with a very good drummer, he was older and it was his first band.

He quit the band because he didn't like being in bars.

Turns out all the liked was practicing alone in his basement.

Weird, why bother playing at all.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sure. Several times.

17. hrodbert696

I think this makes the point: if you're a guy like Jive1 - experienced, well-connected to other experienced musicians in your area, already have a substantial repertoire, own a PA and rehearsal space, and have contacts with venues, putting together a band from scratch is just a matter of a few phone calls. Guys like me, and I assume the OP, has a way to go before we get there. Working on it, though!

18. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    My current band was that way. My neighbor is a great drummer, and we'd been wanting to work together, but nothing ever panned out. One day about three months ago, I met with a local car salesman who happened to be a minor celebrity (had a number one hit), and he mentioned that he wanted to put together another band. Well, I contacted a few guitarists I know, got some auditions set up, and we were on our way. We've been gigging pretty steadily for the last month.

19. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm still working on it too. ;) Being able to make a few calls to put something together really only happened in the last couple years, and I've been living here for 11. I've kissed alot of frogs, and been kissed by those who were diappointed I didn't become a prince. But, I will say it's gets easier the more you do it, and that if you are willing to put in the time and effort towards the people more than the things, it can happen. It just doesn't happen overnight, not for me at least.

IME, the #1 thing that has allowed to work with players who are head and tails above me in terms of talent is to always respect their time. If they are indeed talented and easy to work with, they can always find another opportunity readily.

As far as the OP, starting a band always involves some level of risk, and the experienced players know that. One thing I've been told that really let me get a handle on it and not get too nervous was something a locally known sax player with years of experience playing at a high level said to me: "We might play lots of gigs, or we might not play any. But, regardless, let's give this our best shot and see where this goes.." And in the end, that summarizes pretty much any start-up project.

20. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    A Tuesday 12 tribute band... But from what I've seen on their web site it should be more Friday 13.