Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have you ever tried to build you own amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Achilles LS, Mar 27, 2003.

1. I suppose you could build yourself a nice amp if you know electronics for good... what do you think?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    If you enjoy doing wiring it's probably a fine hobby.

If you consider paying yourself $5/hour for your labor then you will have a very expensive amp IMO.

3. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    i know a guy that makes tube amps for a hobby, and repairs for a living. i was starting to get one made but after i found out it takes 200+ hours, and the price!!! im just going to settle for store bought, maybe in a few years i might get one made....

4. I have built amps in the past (a 70W mono guitar amp, a 2x70W stereo guitar amp, a 155W mono bass amp, see my site). All in a time when I had plenty of spare time. Nowadays, I would never ever do something like that again. Buying a tested 2nd hand amp is MUCH more cost efficient. And you can hook it up the same day and rock away.

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    If you really like the sound of tube amps.
    Go and find a used tube P.A. head, they can be picked up real cheap (I got a "sound city" 120watt for £15 - about 23 dollars).
    Then - rebuild it and modify it for Bass - easy to do and will teach you a lot about amps.

6. I too built a preamp from scratch. I wish I had a picture to upload. I used a schematic from an Ampeg B-25 (bass,treble, volume, deep and bright switches) and put it in an old Heathkit audio preamp chassis. The power amp was given to me by my former pastor - cleaning out the junk room. (I also got a beheamoth 2x15 + 2x10 cabinet) It has 4 6L6 tubes in it, I'd guess about 80 - 100 watts. I'm not a tube wizard, so I've had some trouble with it and no time to fix it. But it was very interesting and looks cool in a retro sort of way.

Stay Low

7. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    due to the fact that a SVT classic retails 3500 € here, i consider building one, a special shop do that but only the set of tubes will cost me 500 € ...