Have you ever tried to build you own amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Achilles LS, Mar 27, 2003.

1. I suppose you could build yourself a nice amp if you know electronics for good... what do you think?
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    If you enjoy doing wiring it's probably a fine hobby.

If you consider paying yourself $5/hour for your labor then you will have a very expensive amp IMO.
  3. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    i know a guy that makes tube amps for a hobby, and repairs for a living. i was starting to get one made but after i found out it takes 200+ hours, and the price!!! im just going to settle for store bought, maybe in a few years i might get one made....
  4. I have built amps in the past (a 70W mono guitar amp, a 2x70W stereo guitar amp, a 155W mono bass amp, see my site). All in a time when I had plenty of spare time. Nowadays, I would never ever do something like that again. Buying a tested 2nd hand amp is MUCH more cost efficient. And you can hook it up the same day and rock away.
  5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    If you really like the sound of tube amps.
    Go and find a used tube P.A. head, they can be picked up real cheap (I got a "sound city" 120watt for £15 - about 23 dollars).
    Then - rebuild it and modify it for Bass - easy to do and will teach you a lot about amps.
  6. I too built a preamp from scratch. I wish I had a picture to upload. I used a schematic from an Ampeg B-25 (bass,treble, volume, deep and bright switches) and put it in an old Heathkit audio preamp chassis. The power amp was given to me by my former pastor - cleaning out the junk room. (I also got a beheamoth 2x15 + 2x10 cabinet) It has 4 6L6 tubes in it, I'd guess about 80 - 100 watts. I'm not a tube wizard, so I've had some trouble with it and no time to fix it. But it was very interesting and looks cool in a retro sort of way.

Stay Low
  7. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    due to the fact that a SVT classic retails 3500 € here, i consider building one, a special shop do that but only the set of tubes will cost me 500 € ...