Have you ever waxed a fretboard!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by groov'ster, May 23, 2005.

1. Yea I know this might be in the wrong forum but I can't think of anywhere else to put it. If it needs to be moved then so be it.

I met another bassist the other day and we were talking about our gear when he mentioned that he uses a high quality wax whenever he changes strings to wax the fretboard?!?!? It helps "smooth" the board and ease of playing?
    I can see this somewhat but does anybody else do this? Have I been playing all this time and missed out on something?

I know of products like 'fret ease' or 'string ease', but waxing the board?
  2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I wouldn't do it. I don't see how it could make playing any easier. About all this will do is get gunk all in your strings and make your fretboard look gross as the wax wears.
  3. As a matter of fact I do - but not "fret"boards - "finger"boards get waxed when I complete the finish. It fills in the tiny scratches and gives a very slick but natural feel without being greasy. I use Minwax Finishing paste wax. I've used it on ebony, rosewood, and CA coated. It doesn't do any of the things mentioned above.

Putting it on a fretted board seems like a waste of time though. You don't come in contact with the surface like you do a fretless.
  4. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Wax on a fretted board would also be a pain to apply. Getting all the excess wax from between the frets and the board would be a chore. Even on a fretless, an unfilled, open pore wood like rosewood would take agressive polishing. (Waxed rosewood looks nice when you are done, though.)
  5. Yea I can see the reasoning for a fretless but as you said "for a fretted?!?!"

Well thanks for the replies. I got the responses I already agreed with and could see as logical. Just wanted to ask though.

6. If one makes the mistake of using an automotive "wax" for this - one of those that dries into a white power - they are in for a headache. That stuff will fill those pores and make little white dots that will NEVER come out of the wood unless they are sanded out. This Minwax is a light tan color and goes on invisible. Even when it gets down into pores in quantity, it won't turn white. I guess it's formulated for just that type of situation.
  7. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Wooo. I never thought of that. I've used auto "waxes" when finishing, but I was always expecting them to have rubbing compound in them. No problem using them on a dozen coats of nitro, but putting them on an open pored wood would be deadly.
  8. Warwickman0810

Mar 29, 2005
    London, UK
    I waxed the fingerboard on my warwick with warwick wax and then polished a few months ago. I dont know why i did it (too much spare time on my hands maybe) but it looks fine and the fingerboard is a bit darker than it was originally (duh). It's hasn't changed colour in the past three months orso but maybe the worst is yet to come :)