1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Have you ever ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raven nevermore, Aug 15, 2012.

1. taken a day off from work to play bass !? That's what I'm doing today !! :)

2. I hope your employer doesn't know you're here. :bag:

--Silvie

3. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Took a week of vacation to record a dozen songs (guitar, bass, drum machine).

4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I work from home two days a week. Bass is hand just about all day except for when I have to type, or fix something. Fingers are very sore the next day.

5. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Even better. Back when I worked construction to support my music habit, I had a lot of conflicts between work and gigs. I had a chance to play a live radio broadcast one morning, but had used up all my sick days and personal days, plus some, due to an injury earlier that year. I was debating whether to just tell my boss I needed the morning off or wait and call in sick that morning, when he called me into the office the day before the event. He said I had been missing too much work, and to make an example of me, he was going to make me stay home from work "tomorrow" without pay (we never got paid for sick days anyway).
    I told one of my coworkers to tune the radio they listened to on the job site to the station I would be on. My boss was gloating a bit about my "punishment" to let the others know taking time off work would not be tolerated. Of course the DJ introduced the band members between songs. My boss sure had egg on his face the next day as I returned to the site to a hero's welcome.

6. Gigslut, that's the best story ever told !! Cool when it works out that way !! :)

7. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    ^ that is awesome

8. I've missed school to play bass, does that count? :bassist:

9. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    This is so cool!!!!!

10. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Great story up there ^! To answer the question: yes, I have taken days off on several occasions to play bass! And when working at home, I take the half hour here and there...

11. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    The hardest part was pretending to be disappointed that I wouldn't be allowed to work that day.

12. livingstone

livingstone

Jun 15, 2007
    Oneonta NY
    I use up vacation days just to practice for a gig. :meh:

13. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    years and years ago, I used to stay home from school just to play bass

14. It's a good idea. I wouldn't mind booking a vacation day just to practice at home. If/when I pick up a method to record music, I may take a day off to record some various ideas. (I have a bunch of ideas I don't want to forget.)

It would be cool to have a Kala U-bass & take outside (park, beach, etc), to enjoy some good weather.

15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Try using your cell phone as a musical scratchpad. I use mine and email myself the file
    . Helps catch those musical inspirations.

16. Bone

Bone Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2006
    What if you play bass for a living:)