1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Have you found & rented a apt. in another state before moving?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by A-Step-Towards, Oct 9, 2013.

1. I have never lived outside of Oregon and I am getting tired of the same thing and the same people. I am wanting to move out of state. I wont know anyone once I move, thus I cant crash at a friends. I need to rent a apartment before arriving. Have you ever done this before and do you have any advice? I have looked on craigslist but it all seems like scams.

Thanks

2. I've done it. I just used CL, google, and the local newspaper to find candidate places, then went there for a weekend, looked at a few spots, and picked one.

My advice is not to worry about it too much, because you don't have to be there too long. Just find an acceptable place to stay for 6 months or a year while you figure out the new city. After living there for a year you'll have a better feel for what neighborhood you want to be in, and then you can look for a more permanent place.

3. Thanks, yeah I think I am just over thinking it and kinda making it a bigger deal then it is maybe. I just have never left the state I was born in, but I am not working in my field of study and more jobs are available there, I have to move out of my place within 6 weeks anyways, my band broke up , most of my friends moved away and thus I am really only here because its all I know.

Its only about 1000 miles away and all my stuff can easily fit in my car so I guess going there for a few weeks and crashing in a cheap motel while looking for a place shouldn't be to bad.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Where are you headed?

5. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    Maybe a very good move! Ha ha! Pun intended, people that rent out may be reluctant to rent to an out of state person, but since you are employed for the time being (I'm guessing) most places will probably go ahead and rent to you.

It sucks trying to move to a place after quitting a job and having no job lined up at the new location, everyone wants to know who you are employed by even if you offer cash for six month up front. Hilarious.

6. LA area. Its a area family use to live in and I visited a lot and where I have wanted to move for about a decade now. I just really need to get out of where I am now. I have a job but its retail and low paying despite having a Bachelors degree so finding a better job shouldn't be hard.

I have enough in savings to sustain myself in LA a year without working a day and I have nothing really to loose except money so I decided to just get out of here while I still have some sanity. It will be a lot different but I honestly need a change and if it doesn't work I have family in Phoenix I will probably go live with for a few months.

7. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Do it. (Based on no real personal experience.)

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

I lined up a room for rent before moving to San Francisco, I left 4 hours after arriving, WOW! I wish you better luck. ;)

9. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Do it! Sounds like you already know what to do, and have the means to do it right.

And it's the right time of year to leave Oregon, too. It's the beginning of that time of year where it pretty much constantly rains for 8 months.

I'm probably going to do something similar in a few years, after I have a good amount of experience in my field of work (machining).

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    We did. Instead of an apartment though, it was a 3,700 square foot house. We didn't know a single person in the region we moved to.

-Mike

11. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    You're set then.

I had six months of savings when I moved and it definitely made things a whole lot easier.

Good luck.

12. Thanks for the feedback , I have found a place thats actually a motel that does week rates and its around $230 a week with tax and everything included so I think that may do well for temp housing.

Anyways yes it helps to know your not going to show up and be homeless.

13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you're in that strong of a position financially, I would suggest you go down to LA for at least a couple of days to look at apartments before making the move. You can contact a couple realtors who handle rentals to help. I really wouldn't want to just commit to a place sight unseen or on the basis of pictures alone. You won't really know what the neighborhood is really like or what condition it's really in till you see it in person. The only time I did that was when we went to live in Germany for a year and then it was for an apartment in a nice suburb of Munich, so I didn't think there was much risk.

Seems you're young and single, and that does make it easier. You can survive moving into an iffy neighborhood temporarily until you find something better, more so than if you had a wife and kids to settle.

Meanwhile, stretch out your network. Seems like everyone knows someone who knows someone in LA, so even if you don't know anyone there you ought to be able to get a contact who would help you out, at least with some honest advice about neighborhoods and fair prices and maybe a couch to crash on while you find something.

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Agreed. Taking a weekend to scout out a place to live would seem to be a logical, practical solution to your problem.

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes, I've done it. Basically, I went to a website like www.Apartments.com, plugged in the criteria I needed (i.e., a furnished apartment), and began applying. I had to mail/email some of the applications. Luckily, the city I moved to had a much higher supply of apartments than demand, so finding a great apartment was not really difficult. Most of them were quite affordable and the realtors and landlords were almost always punctual with getting back to me. I didn't even have to pay a security deposit. My apartment wasn't going to be ready the day I arrived, so I stayed in a hotel for a couple of days and then took my first month's rent in as a money order.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the luxury of scoping the area out before I arrived, so I hoped that the pictures did the place justice. I was pleasantly surprised when the property manager first opened the door; it was a beautiful apartment and remains my favorite place that I've lived so far to this date. Since I didn't know anyone there and I was on my own, so to speak, I purposely tried to get an apartment relatively close to my place of employment. I did that so in the event that my car may have to go in the mechanic's garage for a day, I could realistically walk to work or take mass transportation.

If you have enough savings for a year, aren't held back by family obligations, and just aren't finding good economic opportunities in your current locale, I think it's a no-brainer.

16. Thanks for the link, that should help alot. I am more then likely going to have to move without scoping the area out first. I just dont have the time. I will be putting in 2 weeks notice at my job and my lease is nearly up. So its pretty much go now or stay here.

Anyways I am single, no kids, 23, and all the jobs in my degree field are out of state. Oregon really has little to offer, probably due to such a small population.

Anyways I will check that link out as looking on craigslist has become a nightmare, to many random postings.

17. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    +1 on residence hotel. No contract, no utilities.
    I did this about 20 years ago. Worked out great.