1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you found the tone you wanted in your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Surprise Panda!, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Yes

190 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. No

86 vote(s)
    31.2%
  1. I certainly. haven't. I of course only have a MIM J and GK Goldline, and I haven't found my true tone yet.

2. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I like the tone i get out of my spector

though currently i dont, it needs the new strangalangs
    starting to sound dead

i think it works for me
    well see when im done recording next week if i still think so hahaah

3. qtowens

qtowens

May 30, 2008
    Ferndale, MI
    I have found that my EBMM is the focal point of my tone. It sounds sooooooooooooo good through any amp, I swear...

4. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    I think I've come pretty close. Not that I want to stay with this bass, however. I'm sure I can get it on a better instrument when the money comes along.

5. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    For certain applications, yes. But no, I don;t think a single tone exists for everything that I like to play.

6. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I found my tone about 9 months after I started playing. Up until then I'd always be thinking about tweaking this or that but now I have found a bass (ATK) that will always be my signature sound. I may use other sounds like a P but only because that works better in most band settings. When I want to be me I go ATK.

7. Im very happy with several of the many tones from my Hwy one Jazz.

8. No. I never did find that...certain tone that you'll only know when you feel / hear it. This past April I finally bought a Fender J, MIK that is a real beauty and sounds awesome! I thought I found THAT tone....for awhile....now Im not so sure. Im starting to think that maybe its just me, gassing, getting bored with same sound, I dont know, but are you sure its not JUST you, never satisfied with any tone? Consider that.

9. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, lately. I've been through way too many basses that I bought because they looked cool, or because they were a scale length I thought I wanted, or other non-tone reasons; but I've gotten the two main tones I wanted out of my two current basses, and another tone I wanted out of a bass I had that sounded perfect but didn't fit me ergonomically. It took an awful lot of trial and error to finally get these tones... mostly error. :)

10. I bet your Valenti sounds amazing

11. Earthquake

Earthquake

Dec 19, 2007
    SoCal
    +1

12. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Not quite, but getting close. When I'm able to say yes, I'm sure I'll have exactly 3 basses, 3 full pedalboard, and 2 amps powering one cab a piece.

But like I said, I'm gettin close :)

tom

13. My '08' MIA Jazz V sounded great right outta the box. My Carvin LB75AP Anniversary in passive sounds very good, but active it's been a love, hate, love, hate relationship. Alot of it depends on the room I'm playing, some rooms the active sounds real sweet and then other rooms no way, totally a passive room.

14. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I'm almost 100% there. I wanted a massive midrange presence and deep low end, both of which I got with my Wick $$ NT. If it had a midrange EQ knob, I'd be set.

15. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    +1. it really sounds like "me" no matter what i play it through. same thing goes for my svt4, any bass that goes into it gets brought to life. life is good. :cool:

16. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    P basses a couple packs of Fender nickel rounds..end of story.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    I have 13 basses ... all 5 strings, most active ... various brands ... Rickenbacker, p-bass, jazz bass, fenderbird. With 3 and 4 band preamps and this pedalbaord I can pretty much dial in any tone.

pedal.

18. Yes. Then sometimes I wish I could change my fingers.

19. I have a 5 string active Jazz...gets the modern tone and old-school jazz...
    I have a passive 4-string P-bass...you all know what that's about
    I have a semi-hollow semi-acoustic with a piezo...for the abg vibe.

I have found my tone and a couple other folks' tones as well ;)

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm sure it's in a combination of at least one of my basses and one of my amps.