1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you gone the ultralight route and came right back?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by allexcosta, Sep 14, 2008.

1. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I tried to like it...

Got a micro, ultralight head. Got some NEO speakers. Played a few times. They're gone now, and I'm back to my heavy head and some good old heavy speakers. Been there, done it. No thanks. Anyone else?

2. Yep...it lasted about 24 hours! I bought a Little Mark II and Genz 6.0 and tried them with a Bergantino HT210 next to my Bergantino IP310/Neve 8801 pre and the IP310 with an Avalon U5 and there was no contest. The IP is a bit harder to move and it would be nice to be able to put an amp in my gig bag but there was no comparison in sound. Not even closes enough for me. Call me a snob but tone is what I am all about and I just could not get the balls I wanted with either of the 2 lightweights I tried. I am using NO stage rig right now. I go into an X2 Wireless and my Neve 8801 and I use Future Sonics Atrio in Ears about 30% of the time. The other 70% of the time I use a JBL VRX915 wedge and I hear enough of my Nexo Alpha S2 Subs to fill out the bottom for me. The band loves it. My keyboardist has a VRX915 and my guitarist has a pair of JBL SRX712Ms and he has a Grendel Dead Room Iso box that is fed by a couple of my 65 Amps. No excessive noise on stage and we can get by without even using in ears. It takes a bit of discipline and confidence in your playing but I find that I don't miss a thing even without the in ears.

Peace,

T

3. pjleo

pjleo

May 27, 2003
    del valley
    I recently replaced the 8 ohm speaker in a Bergantino ht 112 ...with a 4 ohm neo from avatar ......also removed tweeter.
    Cab is down to 27/ 28 Lbs. With my acoustic image head and this cabinet alone.... I think I now get around 220 watts....used it at a wedding saturday nite , no PA support. And today with a loud 10 piece funk band with PA support. Sound man and everyone from both gigs remark that it is plenty loud and cuts through. I Am using P-Bass And also have ear plugs in at all times ....even while singing any more....don't even bother carrying my vocal monitor..
    Do not think I will be using my Big rig to much in the future,,,,,However I never say never...
    Also this has been my upright rig lately......I have been running a BBE Boosta grande pedal .....But I am not sure it is really needed with electric Bass.......

4. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Allex, I might be there with you. I bought a GB neo pak and have gigged an LM-II and they just didn't give me the feeling of authority that their wattage ratings implied. I went back to my 700RB-II in a week. The 60hz transformer feels different I guess. I will say that I am going to check out the GK MB2-500 though - just to be sure...

I have to say, I really like Neo speakers... (once they're broken in) --> YMMV

5. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I'm in a totally different situation that you two. I play gigs that on a good night cover my bar tab or are freebies. But, I still really care about tone.

I've got a pretty good day job, and can play anything I want. I play older well designed heavy gear. It sounds right. I tried the lighter stuff, and it didn't resonate with me. It is so subjective, and each of us has to find our "home."

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I haven't really taken to any of the lighter gear I've tried.

Just seems to be missing a certain "something".

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I go back and forth. Right now I'm in an upsizing mood with a tube head and two 115's because I've missed having a nice sized wall of speakers behind me. But in a month from now, who knows? At the volumes I play at, plus the fact that I almost always run through the PA, the size of my rig really doesn't matter to anyone but me and our drummer who thinks I'm a wuss when I show up with my Markbass combo. So I will probably go back and forth with this stuff and use whatever strikes me.

8. That is a good way to put it...I think the something is balls (headroom) for the stuff I have tried.

Peace,

T

9. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Oh, man! You've got a Neve8801? I hate you now... I used it once and was blown away... Unbelievable sound comes out of that thing.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Why do you think Jonas Hellborg stole the design for his preamp? ;)

11. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I didn't know that. Thanks for the info! That pre-amp is a beast...

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Yes.
    Went the Shuttle route.
    Sounded good by itself.

Did not cut it live.
    Was missing headroom, that "thump"

Went back to my V4BH with a 2x15 cab.

13. Best preamp I have ever had. I have used a lot of stuff over the years but this is the best of them all I think. Simple to use and sounds great every time. It is the only piece of my travel rig I insist on!

Peace,

T

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You've apparently never used a Behringer.

:bag:

15. Never had the chance...

Peace,

T

16. Yeah I had a GB Neo pack, followed by a Shuttle and just didn't like either of them. I didn't like how light they were, they didn't feel sturdy enough and I head stuff rattling around inside both of the heads (probably some loose solder). I am now playing a bass amp that feels like a bass amp to me, a GK Fusion. I can plug it in without pushing it across my speakers and I don't have to worry about a stiff breeze blowing it off my stack:D

Dan

17. +1 I use My LMII often, but I cannot beat the SVT or V4BH for ballsout THUMP!!! The LMII does sound darn good thru the NV215 tho, but even tho it's CRAZY loud thru that cab, it STILL lacks the Nuts of the TUBE Mutha!!

18. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I tried to make do with a single Acme B-2 for many years. It's a heck of a 2x10 but it still is what it is. ;)

I find the middle of the road gear these days is a pretty good compromise. Compared to the 2x10s, my 2x12 is only slightly more cumbersome but it's WAY more potent. My head rack (Alembic tube pre + 20 lb QSC power amp) is no featherweight but it's no SVT either. :D The whole rig delivers the goods without breaking my back.

Would I be curious to try a 4 lb, 600 watt head? Not if the steak isn't juicy!

19. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I certainly won't challenge anyone's response to the OP -- you can't challenge a person's perferences -- but can I nit-pick a bit?

First, I'm not entirely familiar with your gear, but it looks like you're comparing a $5,000+ rig (the neve + IP; or 3large for the avalon + IP) to a $1,500 rig (the LMKII or GB + HT); and a 3x10 to a 2x10 (maybe not the biggest diff there)...so basically I wonder if your standards are just WAY too high, having been spoiled by the Neve/IP rig :)

But the part that confused me -- you listed of a LOT of gear I'm totally unfamiliar with, but you say you're not even using a stage rig at this point. So are you pitting the "lightweight" amps up against the Neve and U5, neither of which, on their own, are "heavy." So one might argue that, by playing straight through the PA, you ARE a committed lightweight fan ;)

I still don't think it would be a fair fight, but it might have been interesting to run the MB or GB PREAMPS through your IP, A/B'd with the Neve or U5...hahahaha...I still think the former would be bringing kinves to a gun fight...but a more "apples to apples" comparison maybe?

And just to frame my own position -- I'm going lighter and lighter until I have the smallest reliable rig I can afford -- I'm building a Bill F. cab next to try to ratchet down my rig size a wee bit more. I'm currently using an AI focus, sansamp, schroeder 1210, which lets me show up with the cab, guitar case, and pedal case (that also holds the AI, and my cables). If I can fill our regular gig's room with an Omni 10.5, then that's what I'm gonna do.

I'd love to get to a particular tone, but I'm just not willing to lug around any 90+ pound cabs or 40+ pound amps any more. And from all the club shows I've seen in Chicago, I've seen great tone destroyed by poor sound systems or management so regularly that I'm thoroughly convinced that my holy-grail-tone (if I ever found it) would be lost to the room 90% of the time anyway. I love my cab, am content with the rest of the rig, and am gonna get to a happy place with that. I am trying a superfly too -- which is a wee bit heavy, but for the price, it's pretty tough not to have one on hand...

Cheers!

ltt

20. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    There's is no need to go off all half cocked!. you need to get a Neve 33609JD to complete the signal chain as well.
    The only compressor to totally cure GAS, well thats if you already got one.
    :ninja: