1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you gotten this from Craigslist?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by matrok, Jan 5, 2007.

1. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I listed some stuff on craigslist and I've gotten a bunch of emails, but then no further communication after I reply. They ask if it's still available, then nothing. Are these people just professional time wasters?

2. I think they are just looking for active emails to sell to spammers. I get them all the time.

3. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    You know, I had that thought, but thought I was being paranoid. I don't normally get spam on that account and got one this morning.

4. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    Ugh, don't get me started. But it doesn't just happen on Craigslist.

Usually I get some responses, some dickering but usually no sale. People say they're coming out and don't show, they e-mail offers and counter-offers and then don't respond. I've sold two guitar pedals

It seems like Craigslist is good, but also full of people wanting stuff for free. If I had a nickel for every "I'm a single mother, I need help" post asking for things like Playstation 3s, Bears tickets or TMX Elmo for "free or cheap" I'd be the rich one. I also see a lot of people asking for free computers, free iPods, or stuff for cheap the we'd all like for cheap. I'd like Bears tickets for cheap, but I'm not a single mom with no legs.

I am selling a portable DVD player and I kept getting a lowball offer from some girl who "really really wanted it for her sister so could I please help her because she doesn't have much money."

Posting on Craigslist is free...so I guess you get what you pay for!

5. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    As a buyer though Craigslist is heaven :)

6. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Yeah it does remind me of my experiences with the "Cheapcycle" and "Buy/Sell/Trade" boards. Lot's of no shows and want something for nothing's there. Thought maybe Craigslist would be better I guess.

Oh well, I'll quit crying now. :meh:

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Even worse are the ads that list a price, and phone number, I call agree to a meeting time and location, drive an hour, and when I get there he says he can't sell it to me because someone else offered him more since our agreement.

8. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    That's not right.

9. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Neither are a lot of people these days...:meh:

10. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    true

11. I was selling Bears tickets on CL a month or two back. The prices were in line with what the going rate was - in fact, they were even lower as I took into account that I wasn't paying the fees for Stubhub or eBay.

After politely declining a ridiculous low-ball offer, I got a page-long reply from the guy saying that I was gouging people by selling over face value of the tickets and that I was ruining the spirit of CL.

Everyone wants something for nuthin.

12. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    i get that when listing stuff for sale on ebay, random useless junk and most don't reply.