1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

have you guys seen this guy?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by buliwyfff, Dec 1, 2006.

1. buliwyfff

buliwyfff

Oct 13, 2006
    Virginia
    you probably have but I just found him, really impressed me

2. trasser

trasser

Dec 13, 2005
    He is indeed very, very, VERY good. I wanna be him.

3. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    He's good but I don't want to BE him.

:bassist:

4. synack

synack

Nov 25, 2006
    Atlanta
    amazing

5. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I mean...he's obviously good. I'm just surprised that so many people are so impressed by it, considering that his song doesn't really have anything "stand-out-ish" about it. Like I said, he's good, but nothing I haven't seen five hundred billion times before.

6. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    He has a good tone, some good chops, tho he falls behind the drummer sometimes, but other than that hes really nothing special IMHO. He puts energy, lots of it, into his playing, and the tone that comes out is good, but thats as far as it goes.

7. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    They BOTH could use a bit of work on their rhythmic accuracy . . . although they DO play together well! GROOVE is what is lacking . . .
    and that comes with maturity and REALLY LISTENING. I think that they both should work on steady, metronomic sub-divisions of the beat, each one working alone with the metronome in order to pinpoint what phrases have what problems (speeding up on the syncopated figures is the bass player's most obvious problem).

8. It's the same thing over and over!

9. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    wank wank wank..... beep beep beep boo
    wank wank wank..... beep beep beep boo
    bug-a-da bug-a-da bug-a-da bug-a-da bop.

Wow. :rolleyes:

10. trasser

trasser

Dec 13, 2005
    Of course I don't want to be him :) he's just a lot better than me, and I hope to be as good one day, although i don't want to play the style that he is doing. Peace

11. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Great stuff, great tone, but I thought his fills were totally junk. The whole speed octave thing is so boring, overdone, and in this case I thought sounded bad. He needs to learn that less is more and that track could be improved quite a bit.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    ???? His time sucks !!!!

If you can't hear that you need to do something besides play music...

13. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    +1

14. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas

I've heard worse. But it could use some work.

:bassist:

15. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    Man some of your are really hard to please. Sorry that rocked hard.

Bad timeing? sure not perfect/robotically on the beat but it wasn't that off. It's just a practice in the guys bedroom. If they were in a serious recording situation a producer would get them right on no problem.

Same thing over and over? Ya, it's called a song with hooks!

I challenge any of the people who posted the negative comments to post an original piece, played live piece, that's at least as good as that.

If you can't then you should stfu and just admit your jealous, lol, some people here..... act like anything below pristine perefection is crap.

16. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Sounds pretty good to me. Nothing outstanding, but pretty catchy. Sounds like a piece of music one could have a lot of fun with.

17. Do you know this guy personally or something? Not everybody is going to have the same opinion. If a person puts up a video of their playing, they should expect positive AND negative critiques. Would you prefer that all the threads here have 20+ posts of people agreeing with each other?

Like previous posters have already said: Timing is a bit off. Could groove a bit more. Hooks? I thought his tone was bit brash. He's got some chops, but I just don't think the guy was really saying anything.

18. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    No, I don't know the guy at all. It's just that anytime I see something that's good, you get more than half of the replies having to say something like, "wank, no big deal ect."

But when someone is a noob and posts obvious noob playing everyone is much more generous with their praise.

Also, I think the thing no one here is considering is that this is obviously a quick recording in the guys bedroom for fun. it's not a finished, polished recording that went through a professional studio and had a lot of money spent on it's recording and making sure everything is perfect.

Of course I should know after being in bands for over 15 years that other musicans are usually the worst critics, and will pick something apart that most non players would enjoy.

I guess I listened to it as a regular listener, and didn't try to tecnically pick it apart as a player, I just enjoyed it right away as a whole.

To me that is the sign of a good piece, I got into it right away.

To me he was saying this is fun to play and listen too.

19. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    i dont know, but i thought it sounded pretty awesome. especially his tone, what effects is he using man how did he get that sound

20. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    This isnt just "wank it sucks". His timing is off, both their timings really, he overdoes pretty much everything, his tone is good yes, and hes got chops though he cant play the whole thing perfectly (too much clank clank imo). Its enjoyable because hes having fun, and alot of energy is put into it, but thats it for me.