Have you guys seen this kid?!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by slapadelic, May 20, 2007.

1. slapadelic

slapadelic

Jun 27, 2006
  2. KingOfAmps

KingOfAmps Inactive

He's cool as ****! I want that haircut.

3. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    WOW! I mean...14 year old? That kid is plain amazing!

4. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    This kid is amazing! He can not only play some tough songs but his own song on bass is really awesome.

5. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    Damn.... That really makes me think of my own commitment...

6. bassman312

bassman312

Oct 19, 2006
    oh yeah.. this put my selfasteam down a bit.... this kid would kick my ass anyday of the week

7. +1
    :(

8. If it's there, if you have music in you, then there is nothing like a few thousand hours practise mixed with years on a stand won't sort.

How lovely to hear raw talent.

Kevin

9. He looks even younger than 14, I'd say 12 :eek: . But I don't feel that I'm too impressed, probably because the video camera he's using ruins his tone and because if he's 12, then I'm only 2 years older than him.

10. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    Huh?? You aren't impressed because his camcorder mic has crappy tone? :confused:

And you aren't impressed because you're 14 and he's 12? Tell you what. Call me when you're 30 and tell me if you can play at his level then.

11. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    Just some raw talent. If he keeps practicing, he'll get good. Same goes for developing his own style. I can't stand Jaco and Victor Wooten covers. Makes me want to: :bawl:

12. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i wish i started playing earlier..i could have practiced for hours everyday and not worry about work... my gf... our puppy... rent.. and theeeen band practice... then personal practice.. im only 22 now but if i got my chops down at an earlier age there would be less stress now hah..

good to see younger kids ripping like that.

13. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    but if you start going hard now you wont be saying the same at 26 right.

14. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    dunno, he is definitely good, but I don't see age as a big issue. Different people start playing at different ages, would you be impressed if you were 36 and a 26 year old we're as good as this kid? I would be saying the same thing I am now: he is good, but not amazing or overly impressive. I think this probably because he has been playing for about the same amount of time as me, and I think I am around his skill level (I'm 19 tho). I do play in a much different style though.

eh, i don't think i ellaborated on my ideas enough... let me know if i should expand lol

15. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    say, that kids rippin!!! He's definately got me beat on harmonics and slappin.. (I can shred though... thas my only one- up)

here's to you, little man!!

16. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    very true.. but then i wouldnt have time for the gf/job/ and puppy... :meh:

hmm.... maybe if i switch up to 2hrs sleep i can practice the other 4hrs :bassist:

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Ha! Whats even more amazing is lil' dude is into Larry Graham! He's clearly interested in funk bass playing which is alright with me! Not many kids are that good at that age! By the time he's 16 he'll be a monster player! Only thing now is he needs a Fender and get rid of that piece of log! :)

18. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Lets see:
    his user name is willwh1993, and it sites "# My tribute to jaco #"

so by that, i think its safe to say hes 14.

and am i the only one who cant find the "music" in portrait of tracy?

19. Oratorio

Oratorio

May 9, 2007
    Norway
    That's crazy! :( To be honest, the first time I heard it I really could hear it as true music, fantastic solo bass music. I think you might be thinking about it in more technichal terms, perhaps? :) I understand where you are coming from, though!

20. Honestly, for me, this is what it comes down(and always has mind you).

Anybody can follow another person. If anyone of us sat down for a few hours a day, and tried to learn every MM/Jaco/Wooten tune in existence, hell, we could pull it off. I'm more concerned with the originality the kid brings. The B Minor song he wrote is pretty well thought out, as well as his A Minor jam. Talent? Yup. Originality? Needs a bit of work. The kid works hard on covers, and he has results. Give him a few years of studying improv/melody/counter point, and we just might have a monster player on board. My .02 :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021