Have you had problems with your AVATAR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Yes, I have (Please specify which)

2. No, I have not

3. My carrots are still in the shop.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I've owned SEVERAL Avatar cabs in the past (4x10, 2x10, 1x15, 1x12, another 1x12, etc). I never had any issues with any of them ever PERIOD. The only issue that one of mine had was after I sold one of them (the 2x10) and the user told me a few months later that one of the 1/4" input jacks solder came undone and he fixed it in 10 seconds with a solder gun...
  3. My B212 Neo has been gigged pretty much every week since mid November of last year and so far, I haven't encountered any problems at all.
  4. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    A rattly type sound from the 410 Delta. Thought it was blown speaker...but never pushed hard enough for that.
  5. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    (I posted this in another thread, but I think it is more relavent here)

I had issues with a 210 kappa. It sounded like there was something bouncing around behind the dust cap. My cab arrived this way. I had the speakers replaced by Avatar, problem solved.

When I had a second speaker go with a similar issue Dave refused to replace it even though the cab was still less than a year old and under warranty. He said it was my fault and that it was impossible for the same problem to happen to two different speakers, therefore I had to pay regardless of the warranty.

I know I didn't blow the speaker. I'm not a dummy, I know what it takes to wreck a driver and I just don't treat my equipment like that. I just wanted to get rid of the thing so I paid for the new speakers and sold the cab.

It seems to me that many people are having issues with their Avatar cabs. Dave told me many times that his Eminence drivers are very durable and do not have issues. Is that really true? If there is an issue with the Eminence drivers, and Avatar ignores it, then the problem does have something to do with Avatar.

I'm not trying to set up Dave at Avatar or give him a bad name, but I think it is possible that the issue is with Avatar. For cabs priced that low they have to cut corners somewhere? I played a fender 15" cab for 6 years, a SWR 15" for 7 years, and a Schroeder 1212 for 1 year. I have never had a single issue with any of those cabs. My Avatar cab had two issues in less than a year, and my warranty was not honored.

I've learned my lesson. You get what you pay for.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've owned 3 Avatar cabs and currently own 2. Not a problem with any of them!
  7. my first 2x10 Kappa Pro - the speakon jack did not work. Dave replaced cab with a new one. Screws around the speakon jack on the next cabinet would not stay tight, thus leading to a loose jack that was very delicate when connecting & unconnecting.

Now my 2x12 Delta is giving me a rattle in the lower speaker... no updates on this yet.
  8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i own two , a CB112H and a CB115H , and i've never had any problems with them at all ...

i may be selling them soon , but not for any reason other than i just don't use them any more ...
    my Bergantino delivers just what i need .
  9. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I've owned a B210 Neo with the old style crossover for approaching a year now. No gigs on it yet but jams or practices pretty much every week. The jams run LOUD though I'm probably not hitting it with more than 300 to 400 watts, so it's not like I'm pushing it to its limits.

Regardless, it's performed flawlessly so far. No complaints.

10. I own an avatar 15 with no tweeter, which I bought used. I push it very hard and it started to make a distorted sound when playing a b or b flat on the e string at loud volumes. I replaced the speaker and now it works fine. Seems to me the stock eminence drivers aren't the finest in the world...Although I also blew the 12" driver on my mesa walkabout...so maybe I need more speakers for the volume I'm playing at :bassist:
  11. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Oops, I thought you were talking about the little pictures. I have never owned an Avatar. Sorry for scewing the poll.
  12. braun-jovi

Mar 25, 2004
    Evansville, IN
    2x10, 2x12, no problems.
  13. 2x12 I blew the horn on and the L-pad is scratchy. The horn was my fault, the L-pad is cheap and should be replaced with one rated more than 15watts. No problems with the 410 Neo I bought used, other than that the 1st order crossover sucks. Good cabs in general, but not necessarily my dream cabs.
  14. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I had an older 212 with no issues, I just picked up a SB112 Neo, haven't gigged it yet but it sounds good at home.
  15. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I have a 2-12 DeltaLF 4 ohm. When I got it the Speak-on jack didn't work. I pulled the jack plate and saw that the soldering job was very poor, so I repaired it, and now it works fine. However, I also saw that the wiring is very small in gauge size in them. I am going to open it up and re-do all of the wiring and soldering myself, so I know it's good to go. I don't know yet if they use a push-on spade connector at the speaker or not yet, but if they do, they will be pitched , and every connection will be soldered, like they should be.
  16. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I just did a quick search to see who here on TB has had issues with their Avatar cabs and here is a list of what I found:

1. jr47foam , bad solder joint on back plate, B115H
    2. fourstringbliss, buzz/rattle from speakers, NEO210
    3. DAcat, buzzing from back of cab, 210
    4. LiquidMidnight, rattiling and crackling noist, NEO410
    5. lowmid1, crossover circuit board and input came loose, 112
    6. matt chew, jack comes loose, b210
    7. mik3 88, rattle from speaker, NEO410
    8. nls666, rattling, B212
    9. Stevem627, rattling speaker, 210
    10. Rumzini, rattling, 410
    11. dannyboy15, had to replace 3 speakers, B410
    12. henryjurstin13, rattling speaker, 212 Delta
    13. Zonplyr, muddy and distorting speaker, 212 Neo
    14. jmanyea, rattling speaker, b210
    15. drew z, bezzing speaker, B210
    16. rusmannx, buzzin speaker, 410NEO
    17. Schwinn, dust cap came unglued from cone, and tweeter broken, 212
    18. pin head 47, dust cap came unglued from cone, 212
    19. BassWizzard55, tweeter stoped working, 115
    20. ghindman, blown tweeter, 210 delta
    21. KOakley, rattling/broken speaker surround/bad cardboard gasket, B212

Add to this list the 5 or 6 other that have posted about their issues in this thread.
  17. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

And I suspect that you would probably find a similar percentage of defective units from other manufactures also. Probably at least 50% of cab builders out there are using Eminence speakers and we all know that the UPS guy is not friendly to our cabs while they are in his hands. They tend to get thrown around a lot during shipping, loosening speakers, jacks, breaking or cracking solder joints, etc. When I buy a cab, I typically pull the grill and tighten all of the speakers, then pull the jack plate and have a look at the back of that and also the inside of the cab. I also check the connections to the speakers. I've found a few loose screws or solder joints that were suspect on almost every cab I've owned when I got it. When you buy a cab, inspect it well. Only takes 20 min or so and that includes resolder time. No biggie...
  18. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Man, the only thing I hate worse than my speaker bezzing is when my noist crackles! ;)

19. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Yep, those are the worstest...;)

The only problems that I've had with the bunch that I've had are my fault for hitting sour notes.

If you ever have a problem, Dave Noss will take great care of you...just give him a call, send an email, etc.
  20. m1k3_88

Jan 23, 2005
    My only problem was a a rattling speaker, it is going to be sent back and replaced. Customer service has been great so far and the only problem was with the speaker, nothing else.