Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have you heard about Herbie Nichols???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Nov 25, 2002.

1. I went to a jazz festival here in my city, and there was a guy from the US called david haney that played lots of songs by herbie nichols, those songs were just great, very complex, like debussy on jazz.

I red that he died at 44 and latrer, there was a fire in his house and the half of his compositions were burned---- they saved like 27 or something like that.

The worst thing is that i can't find music by him

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Out of curiousity I checked him out at AllMusicGuide.com. According to that web site, there is a recent group named The Herbie Nichols Project that has tried to ressurrect his work and return him from the obscurity his work languished in after his death from leukemia. This group has recorded some CDs.

If you would like to have more details, go to:

http://www.allmusic.com.

Click on "artists" and type in "Herbie Nichols"

By the way, I had never heard of him, but he sounds like a fascinating musician. His story is interesting enough to make a movie.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Herbie Nichols is yet another of those tragic jazz figures; some will say his compositions were similiar to Monk...but fame seemed to pass Nichols by.

Anyway, I have seen his recordings on the web(CD Now, Tower Records, etc; there is a The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Herbie Nichols out there; it's no longer available from Mosaic Records, but it is still available(I have been considering it for awhile).

The NYC group of musicians who are paying homage to Nichols call themselves The Herbie Nichols Project. This group is 'fronted' by stellar bassist Ben Allison.
    I would check out www.benallison.com & its links(like the Composers Collective & Palmetto Records).

You can't go wrong with any of Allison's solo albums, either.