Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have you heard Eberhard Weber?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by king koeller, May 5, 2005.

1. king koeller

king koeller

Apr 20, 2005
    Dayton, Ohio
    Have you checked out Eberhard Weber on the ECM record label from Germany?
    He really takes you on a sound trip.
    Fantastic tone and concept...

I'm interested to hear from every one!
    Please tell me what you think...
    "King Koeller"

2. JPBass

JPBass

Aug 31, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hes not a bass guitarist. Trained in cello and plays electric upright.
    Lots of great albums on ECM.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

He was a smoking acoustic upright player before he became famous on electric upright. Check out Intercontinental by Joe Pass and see for yourself.

I've seen him play a few times, both with his own bands and with Gary Burton (also w/Pat Metheny in the band), and Jan Garbarek. Be sure to check out Solstice on ECM, it's a great side.

4. king koeller

king koeller

Apr 20, 2005
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks for the quick reply. Ill check out solstice.
    I love Fluid Rustle and Yellow Fields Too!
    Jan Garbarek is the man!
    ECM records is by far, the most creative recording label ever!
    I also play Tenor Saxophone for 33 years professionally, but bass has always been, for me, the foundation of all music.
    I've been playing bass since 1992, 13 years in all.
    I find Eberhard to be the heaviest player in terms of overall
    truth of existence.You can feel the notes and chords in your mind, as they dance.
    His playing is like a mountian stream, fresh and cleansing.
    I'm glad to meet someone who can dig the whole ECM thing!Good Luck!
    "King"Koeller

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'm another huge fan!!! Watercolours by Pat Metherny has some wonderful playing from Eberhard :bassist: Recentley ECM has released a series called 'Select Recordings', it's hand picked retrospects of some of their artist careers, like Eberhard and Dave Holland. The songs are picked by the artist themselves, and a good place to start if your not familiar with their work.....great liner notes too :cool:

7. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Me Too.

I first saw him in concert with Jan Garbarek, thought him fantastic. I bought a few of his solo albums - great stuff! I'd recommend his "Endless Days" album.

8. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Eberhard is freaking brilliant. One of his earlier albums, "The Colours of Chloe," is one of my favorites, and the title cut is one of my favorite jazz compositions. He also shows up on Kate Bush albums.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw him play with Jan Garbarek last November - great stuff - there are several threads about him on the DB side - under Electric Upright Basses, I think?

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    No, but I love his name.

11. PSouth

PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    Chicago
    His album 'Pendulum' is one of my favorite albums ever. It's all bass...layers and layers of upright bass. Pretty different from most of his ablums, which tend to be more subtle.

12. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO

13. I love that Watercolours CD also.... however, is it just me or is Eberhard WAY out of tune most of the time. I saw him at an ECM festival back in the 70's and seem to recall the same thing... intersting tone and lines, but very questionnable intonation.

14. king koeller

king koeller

Apr 20, 2005
    Dayton, Ohio
    He is human, not a machine. His electric upright bass had no frets. He is playing from his heart. His bass playing has temperament, and that's the beauty of his ideas and tone. The notes are flying by. Who has time to adjust to each and every "perfect" intonated note? Jazz is about the melodic line. Jazz is about time, feel and sense of groove.
    His playing was always alive, free, driving, and emotional. What more could you ask for in the perfect Jazz bassist?

15. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    It's part of what he does. He isn't playing conventional music, his intonation reflects temperance outside of western music. Sometimes the pitch mod devices he uses bring out some "sour" notes. But yeah, ****sometimes**** he hits clams like every other fretless instrument player. Nobody has perfect intonation 100% of the time, IMO. The jazz greats on upright included (eg Ray Brown, Scott LaFaro, Oscar Pettiford, Jimmy Blanton, ect.)

16. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Irrespective of what I think about Eberhard's playing (and frankly, I haven't listened to him in probaly 25 years or more, so I don't really have an opinion), that is the coolest compliment I've ever heard given to a musician! Very nice. I can only hope someday somewhere someone will find my bass playing heavy in terms of overall truth of existence. Seriously.

17. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Chester, Pa.,USA
    I use his pencils all the time ...
    :rolleyes:

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    not me. i just want the money ;)

19. bigtiny

bigtiny

Jun 20, 2010
    Cambridge, MA
    Big fan....I really liked the quartet with Charlie Mariano that did several albums for ECM.

I saw him 3 times live (twice with Jan Garbarek and once with his group) and he's really phenomenal......

BTW....if you like Eberhard, you'll want to hear Miroslav Vitous as well....

bigtiny

20. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    Me too.