have you heard john mayer?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Aug 30, 2002.

1. anyone else heard of this guy?

i have his cd 'room for square' and i dig the hell out of this music!!!! what a talented songwriter!!! music that would be well received by just about anyone.

i sometimes use this cd for initial light-off of the pa when we gig. people ask 'who is that' and seem to like it.
  2. thageeze

thageeze Guest

Aug 4, 2002
    Niceville, Florida
    the ladiez seem to dig "No Such Thing":cool:
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A good friend of mine recorded that album and has been raving to me about how great it is since long before it came out. :) However, I'm embarrassed to say I haven't heard it yet. :(
  4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I love that album! I do an acoustic gig (guitar) with a friend every other month or so, and I think we've played just about that entire CD. My favorites are "Why, Georgia?" and "Your Body is a Wonderland" (chicks REALLY dig that one!). I think if this guy keeps up his style, he's really gonna go places. He's already developed a HUGE college following.
  5. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
  6. i dunno, i don't really like him that much...
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    liked him better when he was known as dave matthews...

no wait, no i didn't!

:D :rolleyes:
  8. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I'm not a big fan of him, he's too teenie bopperish fo my tastes. Plus his faces when he sings annoy me, they look so fake.
  9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

As I am not familar with Mayer's music, I checked Amazon.com to hear a few samples. None were posted, but I did notice that Mayer has a new EP set for release Sept 17. It is called "Inside Out" or something similar.
  10. Boplicity

Well, I got lucky. CDNow.com does have sound samples of Mayer's music and come to find out I do recognize his work afterall. He is pleasant radio listening, but I don't think I'd buy his work, as I like a little more edge.

Anyway, as an aside, has Amazon.com cut way back on their sound samples? I was checking several albums last night and none of them had a sample. I was pretty irritated.
  11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Who hasn't? The guy's famous. I want to see him drop the teenybopperish act and do the SRV thing.
  12. Boplicity

Gee, I don't know. It is hard for me to imagine that Mayer has a SRV buried within himself. But in full disclosure, I am a huge SRV fan and would find it hard to imagine that anyone could come close to Vaughan.
  13. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The guy's Berklee-trained and back when he wasn't famous and Sony was trying to shop the CD, it came with an extra disc showing Mayer ripping it up on some blues instrumentals.

He has the stuff. It's just a question of whether teenage girls give a crap about that sort of thing. I think mainstream instrumental rock died with SRV.
  14. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've seen him at some open mic night-type settings here in Atlanta. He's a helluva of a player/songwriter. He has the goods. Plus my 9 year old keeps yelling, "I wanna scream at the top of my lungs!"
    I'll kill John for that!
  15. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Totally dig him. One of the best mainstream acts to come out in a while. I personally think this is his shinning moment in the mainstream, and he'll die out to the underground in a bit, and just keep rocking out good music.

RIP: SRV :(

p.s. Freaky Fender, your avatar rules
  16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check out Eric Gales!

But he probably won't become mainstream :(

Damn good player though.
  17. note: i haven't seen any john mayer videos, so i base my opinion on the cd.

song called 'neon' grooves hard!!!!!!!

'my stupid mouth' is a brilliant story and chorus. if you can't relate to this, you're dead.

i think the guy dun good, regardless of who anyone may compare him to. or how long he is on the charts.

18. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    He has a great sense of melody. I think he needs to find his own style and move away from the Dave Matthews thing (right down to his facial expressions!)...
  19. Qishi45

Aug 29, 2002
    I really like Mayer's style. Did anyone else find 'Room for Squares' a tad overproduced? I find his solo acoustic stuff on 'Inside Out' a lot more profound and moving than his overly popish and overdone major release. Is this just me or did this hit anyone else?
  20. i first heard his name about a month ago. a friend of my sisters from long island was visiting and we were talking about music. she started going on and on about this guy named John mayer. so i was like ok he sounds realy good and she was just so obsesed with him that i thought he couldnt be all bad. so anyway a month later after her and my sister took a road trip i finaly was in the position of having her put on his cd. :rolleyes: i recognized him right away and was disapointed. i used to work at blockbuster and you know they have tv's all around the stores playing trailers and previews and comercials and music videos. they are called trailer tapes. well anyway i had to watch his video with the "scream from the top of my lungs" line in it for a whole month(thats when the new trailer tape comes). lets see 35x3...105/2....50 about 50 times i watched the tape and its showed 4 times a tape so thats 200+ times i watched/listened to the damn video. omg can you get even more tired of something.

so i havent herd any of his other stuff. just that one album. but if i have to watch this girl cream her pants one more time when a John Mayer song comes on im just gona have to kill myself.

oh please can someone relate? its not just her either its a few of my sisters friends, and you dont want them in the same room or holy christ you cant hold your lunch. and these girls are like 20-22 years old.