Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have you heard of Finland?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jarski, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Yes

162 vote(s)
    92.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. No, but I have heard of carrots

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. I've been wondering for a long time if Finland really is as unknown as we Finns have been told.. If you look at the news we're on top of quite many stats (mostly the ones related to alcohol..;) ). So vote and make me know if i live outside the influence of civilization or not..

2. I know OF Finland, I don't know much ABOUT Finland.

I think most people would nod if you said "I'm from Finland", but they probably wouldn't know anything about it, or where it is on a map.

Then again...most people (around here at least) can't find the USA on a map either...so don't feel bad.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. I'm 25% Finnish, i did my heritage project in the 5th grade about Finland... so yes... i know about Finland

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have a good friend from Kajaani. <sp?>
    Way up north......

6. Kajaani is way down south.. or at least a little... compared to Oulu..:meh:

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Of course. You guys have a very interesting language. I can't speak it yet though.

8. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I'm a very geographical person. Finland is a Scandanavian(SP) country and their footballers are generally known to be highly adaptable to new surroundings especially the English Premier League.

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Of course I've heard of Finland. I even know where it is.

10. I think you mean Swedish football players.....:confused:

11. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    No I meant Finnish players but every Scandanavian players can adapt real well especially in the robust English game..I know my football well.

12. Every black metal fan knows about Finland and of its folklore. I listen to bands like Amorphis and Finntroll, they have a lot of historical facts and myths in their music and lyrics. Finntroll's lyrics are in Swedish, though (Försvinn du som lyser över mitt folk) . Sweden is Finland's most important neighbour. I've been to Sweden twice, and I've been to Norway (next to Sweden)numerous times, and my g/f and I will be going there this summer.

"Tales from the thousand lakes" is an Amorphis album, Finland is the country of the thousand lakes. I don't know how many lakes Finland really has though.

13. I know where Finland is, I don't know much about it though, didn't you used be a part of Russia?

14. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    eh? :confused:

15. :mad:

Yeah, nearly hundred years ago. To be totally honest, we've even been part of Sweden WAAAAY back.... but still, it's kinda embarrassing..
    :meh: wouldnt happen again...:D

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Finland... isn't that the little town in Alabama where they make all the vodka?

;)

Of course I know where it is. I actually want to go there some day!

17. hogani

hogani

Jul 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Finland has produced some extraordinary cross-country skiers and biathletes (ski-shoot).

Even here in the US, you can still see rugged athleticism in the genes of Finnish descendents.

An old joke:
    How do you tell a Finn from a Norweigian?
    The Norweigan looks at your shoes when he speaks.

18. Yep. I'm a neighbour...
    Ei saa peittää!

19. I used to frequent an FTP site based in Oulu...
    ftp://x2ftp.oulu.net.fi I think. Closed down now, unfortunately, it was a great resource.

20. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    I started to take a class in obscure geography but I didn't finnish. Bahdumbum.:)