Have you known anyone who has lung cancer from second hand smoke?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 4, 2005.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you ever known anyone who developed lung cancer from what appears to be many years of enduring second hand smoke?.I dont know if it was second hand smoke but i lived with a Priest who died at 41 years of age having never smoked a day in his life from lung cancer. RIP Birtrum
  2. While I will make no claim that second hand smoke is healthy...it is not the only cause of lung cancer among non smokers. Case in point:

I'm not sure about current statistics, but in the mid '90's the highest concentration of lung cancer in the US could be found in SE Texas (according to the local paper). About the only other things SE Texas has a concentration of are rice fields and refineries. One of these things can cause the other.

3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Thanks for the tip, bro. I'm never touching rice again!

brad cook
  4. Anytime I can type a misleading post that could bring the grain industry to its knees, you let me know.

5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I remember seeing somewhere that the American Lung Association report on second hand smoke was fudged, or falsified.
  6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

Smokers have become the scapgoat of the focus of anti-air pollution apparently.

Lets not be worried about all the pullution cause by cars and factories and....countless other things....But Hey! theres someone over there trying to enjoy theirselves!

I apologize for getting off track...

MM, I'm sorry for your loss. You have my condolensces
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was in a band with a guy who died of lung cancer but never smoked - although he had been in the Navy around smokers a lot and of course when he played music it was nearly always in smoky venues. Towards the end he started campaigning to stop smoking in music venues...:(
  8. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Second hand smoke causing cancer is like most things, degrees of correlation, but, there's no statistical significance of lung cancer levels between non-smokers and those non-smokers who live and operate under second hand smoke.
  9. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

10. Sorry about your friend.
    The problem to link SHS & lung cancer is weak in that smoking itself doesn't always result in lung cancer, the number is somewhere between 40-70% of people who smoke-get lung cancer, but not all.
    Intellectually it would make sense that second hand smoke could also cause lung cancer, and it may. Also smoking is not only linked to lung cancer, but its also very responsible for head/neck cancer, colon, and bladder, as well as, coronary heart disease and stroke.
    On a bad note there has been an increase in the incidence of lung cancer over the past 25yrs, and interestingly it appears to be effecting females who've never smoked
    Anyway, here some fun stuff to read

Liu NS, Spitz MR, Kemp BL, Cooksley C, Fossella FV, Lee JS, Hong WK, Khuri FR.Adenocarcinoma of the lung in young patients: the M. D. Anderson experience. Cancer. 2000 Apr 15;88(8):1837-4

Stone R. Bad news on second-hand smoke.
    Science. 1992 Jul 31;257(507)

Wilson N, Thomson G. Still dying from second-hand smoke at work: a brief review of the evidence for smoke-free workplaces in New Zealand.
    N Z Med J. 2002 Nov 8;115(1165):U240. Review
  11. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey

I have never smoked. I really don't care if anyone else smokes, either. my wife smoked when I met her, but quit when she got pregnant with our first child and never went back to it.

I was raised in a house full of smokers. I play in smoke filled clubs. If the hysteria surrounding second hand smoke is correct, by all accounts, I should be dead by now. (of course I'm making a joke here!)

Lung cancer is tough, and can be triggered by a lot of things. My stepfather had a bout with prostate cancer 9 years ago that metastisized into his lungs following the first operation. He lost a quarter of his right lung in the operation that saved his life. Who knows what triggered it? Long story short, we could have looked for a "boogeyman" to blame like second hand smoke, and jumped on the "lets sue the sh*t out of the tobbacco companies" bandwagon. We were just very thankful for the skill of the surgeon (big props to Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia), the strength of this tough as nails Korean War Vet, and the blessing of the lord. We certainly had no desire to contribute to the wealth of some scum sucking bottom feeding ambulance chaser (and we were solicited by many....).

Just my experience and two cents.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

13. My Grandfather was a heavy smoker from the time he was 12, in his 60's he was smoking 4-5 packs a day of unfiltered Camels. He had heart problems all of his life including Rheumatic(sp?) fever when he was 35. Died of a massive heart attack at 76.

My Grandmother (his wife) lived with the man for over 50 years, and never had any health problems related to second hand smoke, in her later years she did have a pretty good cough though. She finally passed from congestive heart failure (we used to call it old age) at the age of 86.

So if anybody could suffer from second hand smoke, you would think it would be someone exposed to it on that level. :confused:

14. AlexK

Apr 10, 2001
    Apart from things like first-hand smoking, it's impossible to point to one thing that can cause a person to form cancerous cells. Second-hand smoke is just one of a number of different factors that can lead to lung cancer(inhalation of other carcinogens, genetic makeup, etc.). Its just one piece of the puzzle.
  15. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Consider us as guinea pigs. As musicians we're probably sucking in more second hand smoke than most.
  16. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    It has been proven that the body makes about 900 cancer cells a day, without the influence of "carcinogens.

Food for thought.

17. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Are you saying that there will be more than 900 if carcinogens are added to the equation? Or are you saying we all have cancer an just don't know it yet?
  18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Man Don't let the lawyers get ahold of that one! Soon they'll be sueing "Big Rice". Rice-a-roni run for cover! :D
  19. thats a great way of saying it. We all have cellsmade every minute of the day that have genetic defects that could result in a cancer. The good news is that our immune system removes them or these damaged cells don't establish in our bodys. its not until one of these cells find a happy home (called the seed and soil hypothesis) or that our immune system weaken (as in times of chronic inlfammation or old age) do we get cancer. Its been well proven that as you age we have increasing numbers of circulating levels of a white blood cell that contain a known cancer genetic event (BCR-ABL), however the chance of getting luekemia is quite rare.
    Thats said, there is still too many unknown when it comes to cancer and why we get it.

Lastly Peter jennings must have great faith in his doctor, I have no idea what stage his disease is or what specifically his lung cancer is but they have him on an experimental drug which has shown success in less than 3% of the smoking population.
  20. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    What he said....well put.