1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Have you Lost all faith in Endorsing Artist Credibility? I have.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by armyadarkness, Jul 5, 2018.

1. armyadarkness

armyadarkness Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    While browsing the Sweetwater catalog today, I see Geezer Butlers Ashdown head... and thought, last I knew, he was with Laney.

Which got me thinking... Frank Bello from Anthrax has changed from Fender to ESP with basses, Hartke to Fender with amps... Nikki Sixx went from Gibson to ESP, I'll never know who really made Enytwistles bass...

And my favorite switcharoo of all time; was seeing a picture of an artist, kissing a GK head, with and Ampeg SVT, half covered by a towel in the background.

I'm now turned off by all endorsements and would never buy anything s a result... but I have in the past. So, yeah I know that it's all marketing... but it wasn't always... was it?

I feel like back in the day, Steve Vai, Neil Pert, and Geddy Lee were definitely committed... but even Geddy Lee has a signature Tech 21 pre now, and he ALWAYS used Avalon. It's almost like once they hit a certain age, they just don't care.

jimmyb, Mechanical, BazzaBass and 6 others like this.
  2. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    Roger Waters' signature model comes with Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quarter Pounder pickups and Fender nickel plated roundwound strings. However, all the good old Pink Floyd records are played with a vintage sounding pickup and stainless steel flats...

When people on this forum asks how to get that awesome Pink Floyd tone, they are always told to get a SPB-3 pickup, which imo sounds nothing like the Pink Floyd records. But hey, that's what comes in his signature bass right?:banghead: I have both, and the vintage sounding SPB-1 is heaps closer to that tone than SPB-3. Rotosound 77 flats is a must too.

Other switches I've noticed is Adam Clayton switching from Ashdown to Aguilar. Mark Hoppus from Ampeg SVT to New Vintage amps/cabs, and from his jazzbodied P-bass to Jaguar PJs. And who knows what Flea is up to, I thought Modulus was his thing, or was it Musicman or Fender?

But at the same time, they are all bass players like us, and probably suffer from GAS sometimes too, so can't really blame them for finding and trying something new and exciting, even though their choices are probably more guided by money.

Deak, Velvettone, taught and 9 others like this.
  3. Kriegs

Kriegs I like things with strings Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    I think it always was marketing but there weren't as many technological innovations happening anywhere near as quickly then as there are now. New tech means new sounds/ tones/ voices/ possibilities for musicians. If an artist is with Brand A and Brand B comes up this new and awesome widget that could open new doors of creativity for the artist, they're likely going to jump ship.
    Or I could be too much of an idealist and it all boils down to money :unsure:

4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    people in "doing things for money" shocker ;)

next you'll be telling me that Piers Brosnan does not in fact enjoy this particular brand of Indian chewing tobacco:

s3-news-tmp-111981-pierce_brosnan--default--620.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  5. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    YES I know it's not the same thing :mad: :ninja:

armyadarkness likes this.
  6. armyadarkness

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    Exactly... and my point is... under normal circumstances, I'd have been interested in that Ashdown head, but now I'd never consider it or even care to hear it, because, I assume it was made just to slap his name on it and SELL, SELL, SELL! I could very well be wrong, but this is how they've made me feel.

Karlson541 likes this.
  7. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I like money. I wish someone would pay me to endorse a product.

BassPilot, Harper, MVE and 38 others like this.
  8. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    IMHO you can never get someone else's tone by buying what they use or endorse. Tone is the result of many factors, gear is but one. Better to spend your time figuring out what works for you.

9. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Artist endorsements lost their credibility with artists who would endorse ANYTHING- Van Halen, and Paul Reed Smith guitars, who gave one of their dream guitars to every kid who wears a wool toque in the summer.
    We won't even talk about the Dimebag model BASS, or Jimi Hendrix soda pop.

Dave Neal, JMarkD and armyadarkness like this.
  10. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Ever thus, really. Such cynicism is well founded IMHO, but there is often a takeaway, which here just might be that, by switching around and having no brand loyalty, the folks we love to love are demonstrating that, when it matters and the chips are down, they go with what they know and what works for them, whatever that might be at the time. Perhaps we should all have more faith in our own choices and how they work for us rather than worshipping the hallowed ground of {insert name of favourite player}...
    YMMV

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Of course it is. A good musician can make a stick and string sound good, and they have techs that could turn the stick/string into a good instrument. In the studio, they aren't recording just through the amp, and in concert it's the FOH that sets the sound. Buy with your ears and hands.

Was true 50 years ago - still is. Before that, there were so few options anyway.

12. Kriegs

Kriegs I like things with strings Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    I believe I heard that the kind of endorsements that start occuring at a certain age were referred to as "the musicians' 401k". Can't go out and tour for extra income? Take a big check for an endorsement deal instead! :thumbsup:

13. armyadarkness

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    Well maybe you're on to something there my friend... So in that scenario, Markbass makes a head, Dark Helmet swaps out a capacitor in it, and VIOLA! A sig model is made? As silly as that sounds, it actually seems logical and semi credible... If that's what you were explaining.

Kriegs likes this.
  14. armyadarkness

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    No... It's close to the same thing. I'd be pissed if I bought it and then wasn't instantly as cool as Piers Brosnan... But my point is, do you lose faith in the product now, because you know that they're full of it... and/ or Piers as well?

knumbskull likes this.
  15. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Reminds me of Brian May signature BASS GUITAR which is made to look just like his 6 string guitar.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  16. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

You're influenced that much by advertising?

Hmph.

Aight.

17. armyadarkness

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    Now that makes the most sense so far. It was easy for me to believe that Frank Bello and Nikki Sixx switched when the wind blew, but when I saw the Geddy Lee and Doug Pinnick stuff... I thought to myself... Aint no way these guys are giving up their tone... But it does lend prooof to your "401" theory, that they both waited until their silver years to do it.

Kriegs likes this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    That age is the point in their lives where they follow the money, wherever it may lead them...

... for a sec, Ohio believed LeBron cared for Cleveland...

... until L.A. cared about him more... $$$.

19. armyadarkness

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    Yes and no... My point was that I "wouldn't" buy something which was being endorsed... But as for what I "would buy" being affected by advertising... yes as well... but that's more difficult to explain.

I "would buy" what Wasn't being advertised, because great products sell themselves... Which is why Mustangs, Corvettes, and Jeep Wranglers don't have commercials, and are excluded from manufacturers incentives.

Raw N Low likes this.
  20. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have no experience but I'm a big fan of money. I like it, I use it, I have a little. I keep it in a jar on top of my refrigerator. I'd like to put more in that jar.