Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have you met a famous bassist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Well have you? If you have please tell about your experience. This is only if you talked to them or got an autograph or something more than just seeing them perform. I have talked to both Krist Novoselic (nirvana's bassist) and Victor Wooten. They are both exteremly nice guys. Krist i talked to for like a minute or to just about how much the world sucks nowadays in the parking lot to the club i saw them (sweet 75) perform in. Haha he is funny too. Victor actually was giving a lesson to a group of us after a show one time. He asked his tech to get his bass and he just sat there and showed us some pointers for a couple minutes. Both were amazing experiences. What about you?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've met a few. All had their interesting stories. Jason had some pointers as the first time was two months after I started playing. Meeting Stu was ironic because I was studying a lot of two-handed tapping at the time.

Jason Newsted on a number of occasions
    Stu Hamm - Linky about meeting: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158750&highlight=Met+Stu+Hamm
    Paul Loranger
    Jerry Only

3. damn.. where? id like to meet jason..

iv met Jeordie white(twiggy ramirez) former bassist of marilyn manson and current bassist of a perfect circle and NIN.. i met him at a NIN meet and greet at MSG this past november.. gave him a hug.. i was too nervous to say anything coherant.. lol

funny story.. i dont know if i could post it or not.. i was handing the entire band bambu sheets to autographs on and when Jeordie took it he asked "A GUM WRAPPER?!.....OH!!!!" lol Trent gave me TWO!!! autographs.. one on the bambu and one on the ticket.. :)

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ya, I've met quite a few.

5. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I met Roscoe Beck at a music store in town as he and a guitarist performed and, of course, pitched Fender stuff.

Me: "Hi, I am aspiring bassist" (shaking his hand)
    Roscoe: "Aren't we all"

I went on to ask about his bass because of the plexiglass he uses between the pickups. Others around me spoke to him too.

It was cool. :cool:

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  7. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I met Charles Mingus. It was just after the 'Changes' albums came out. During a break I went up to him to say hello and was treated to the famous Mingus personality. He just looked at me and said, "Get out the way you honky motherf****r".

Ah the memories.... the memories.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I am fortunate enough to be friends with the likes of LaMarquis Jefferson, Sam Sims, Preston Crump, Adam Nitti, Stu Zender, Za Williams, Khari Simmons, Dave Ellefson, Matt Wong, etc. That's one of the reasons why I'm VERY careful with my cell phone. :ninja:

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I met...WOODCHUCK!!!!

:D

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Billy Gould of Faith No More (my wife used to do some work for him), Doug (or dUg) Pinnick of King's X, Monty Colvin of the Galactic Cowboys.

11. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I met Christian McBride after a Pat Metheny Trio show. We talked about his gear for a few minutes and he signed the pickguard from my JO.

12. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Sir Paul McCartney
    Jack Bruce
    Chris Maresh
    Allen Woody
    Bryan Beller

13. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I've met Jeff Berlin, Beaver Felton, and Dave LaRue.

14. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Stuart Hamm.

Chris Poland (yeah he was the guitar player for Megadeth but when I met him he was playing bass for the Circle Jerks)

THat's about it.

I need to get out more.

15. 1973ric4001

1973ric4001

Apr 27, 2005
    i met victor wooten twice, les claypool (well kinda), uh reggie wooten (not a bassist but hes a really chill guy), and i got to play reggies 10 string (bass+guitar).
    :D

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Victor Wooten, Victor Bailey, Hellmut Hattler, Billy Sheehan, Martin Engelien, T.M. Stevens, Les Claypool, Marcus Miller.

17. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I've met

Rick James
    Nathan East
    Louis Johnson (and George Johnson)
    Gerald Veasley
    Fred Hammond
    Kool (Kool & The Gang)
    Danny Wilson (he and Kenny Gorelick were with Jeff Lorber Fusion when I met them)

I've talked to Stanley Clarke on the phone.

I've gotten basses autographed by Nathan East, Gerald Veasley, the Brothers Johnson (have since wiped off), and Stanley Clarke.

Peace,

James

18. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
  19. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    JJ Plasencio. He's good friend with my worship leader (Jeff Moore) and does work on Jeff's CDs. JJ is a real pro.

20. I met Abe Laboriel - humble, nice, very friendly and not afraid to give advice.

Incidentally, he was with Sheila E, who was also very nice and humble - a complete change from her years as a showpiece for Prince....and a much better drummer/percussionist than I thought or gave her credit for.