Have You Named Your Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moptoptony, Jun 27, 2003.

1. If you've been bored enough to name your axe, tell us all right here!

Right now, I'm battling between Derek and Carl. :p
  2. Minimaul

Jun 22, 2003
    I've never named any of my 'toys'. Not my truck, sticks, or my bass. Never even named my shlong.

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I used to when I first started playing, but that was about 40 basses ago. :D

4. bassrebelpr

bassrebelpr Guest

Dec 4, 2002
    Aguadilla, PR
    I name my SR5 "Stingray 5" and my Aria Fretless "The Fretless"
  5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Sure... I guess, if this qualifies:

6. I know alot of people who name their instruments, but I always found the naming inanimate objects a bit silly myself.
    So obviously the awnser to your question is, no.
  7. Dorky Charles

Dorky Charles

Sep 29, 2002
    I named by bass Roxanne. It just seems like a name that can only belong to an attractive girl. I'm sure some of you will end up posting a picture or telling me about a really disgusting looking girl named Roxanne. Yeah, I realize that there was also that TV show with that rather unattractive lady named Roxanne. I don't care about that because it's all about my dream. If my bass were a person, she'd look something like Carmen Electra.
  8. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have never considered naming one of my basses but, I do tend to think of my Modulus q5 w/ figured walnut top to be a her and my black speckled stringray to be a him, go figure.
  9. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    Oh man, after reading your post I tried to come up with a gender for my all white Stingray, and I suddenly thought of a Sigfried and Roy type character...going to put that out of mind....
  10. tboyd

Sep 10, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Not really, but I do refer to my Sting Ray as my baby.
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My G&L L-2500 is named Francis after my deceased goldfish and Francis Bean Cobain, the daughter of Kurt and Courtney.

I was just thinking of names that could work for either gender since I didnt know if the fish was a guy or girl and Nirvana happened to be playing so Francis popped into my head.

I kinda liked it as a nice name for my bass so I transfered it over. Ever since then my bass has been comfortably ambigous.

12. Well, you can always be like "ROXANNE!" like from that song from the Police. That'd be cool. In the middle the gig walk up to the mic and scream "ROXANNE!"

No? Well ok, your loss. I do it all the time. And I play in church.

No, not really, I don't name my basses. I just got my second bass about 3 weeks ago...feels great to say basses now! You know, with the -es signifying that it's plural!

Anyways, I call my Fender Jazz "The Jazz" and my Spector "the Spector." Although I just got done watching Boondock Saints last night...I may start calling them Aequitas and Veritas or something like that.
  13. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    StingRay5 = either The New One [to people who don't know what the models are], Ray5, Ray. The Pilot Plus 5, Old One, The Pilot, Red One. Fender Standard Jazz-The Black one, The 4 string. Ashbory-The tiny one, The Blue One, Ash. Double Bass/Upright-doghouse, big one,then it just goes into variations of the Double Bass, Bull Fiddle, etc. Thats all
  14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Nope, I don't give names to basses, cars or other objects. Seems a bit silly to me.

I call them names when they don't behave though, does that count? :p
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just check the sig! ;)

tell your drummer, sweeeeet black oyster pearl finish! :cool:
  16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, unless you call

• the main bass or No Sweat
    • the soundgear
    • the Hohner or the fretless
    • the Fenix or the fiver

17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I only refer to them by number of strings, or brand name when around musicans/bandmates, and by color when around family/non-musicians (or people with no understanding of musical instruments).

Ergo, "Shoot, I need to tune my 5, hold on a second," "I dunno, I like playing my Conklinovitch better than my Shadowski," and "No, I've got three, the brown one, the black one, and the blue one."
  18. I NAMED BY BASS ROCKINFREAKAPOTAMUS..that is by far the coolest name ever...rock on :bassist:
  19. I named my bass "Bass". :p
  20. StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    I always name my basses...

Mark Hoppus Sig....Mama Cita

LPB Jazz....Lyndsay

Black Jazz....Skiby

Dark Blue P....Waffles