Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have you noticed the "No pickguard" trend on new basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Dec 11, 2001.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've notce that most bass companies don't put pickguards on their new basses. I guess this is a ploy to keep up with brands who started doing it such as Ibanez, Carvin, Washburn, Shecter ect. Even the new line of Fenders and Rickenbackers have dropped the pickguards to go for a more contempary look. I'm not complaing, cause I like the no pickguard look, I was just wondering if anyone else notcied this.

2. i think the "no pickguard" look is more modern...but it's sad to see Fender actually taking their pickguards off... that's what they are known for!...but if i had a Fender jazz, i would also take the pickguard off, too!:D

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, it's not exactly a new trend...

Companies like Alembic do it since the early 70s.

Why ruin the look of wood with a piece of plastic?

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know not all companies put pickguards on their basses, but I was noticing a lot of companies that always put pickguards on, are taking them off.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Companies like Fender and Rickenbacker don't create new models - their model policy is based on variations of their classic models.
    They already changed colors, electronics, made it look used etc. - so doing a wood-look model without a pickguard (e.g. Victor Bailey model) was just a matter of time - they just change all the details that are changeable on their Ps and Js to get new model options.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Musicman still got em :p (most models)

7. to me, pickgaurds = ugly as hell. I don't even like em on guitars. When browsing guitars/basses, I exclude them from my choices if they have a pickgaurd. can't stand 'em.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Don't forget that half the reason Fenders have "pick guards" is to cover up the cheapo top-routing they do! :)

Or is that like saying that NYC has streets to cover up the subways? :D

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

uh-huh, about 20 something years ago. :D

It just reflected changes in popular technique. Leo didn't know so many bassists would drop the pick in due time.

I never "got" the pickguards, in that, why protect wood you can't see anyway??? Take it off and put it back on when you sell it. Having a pristine pickguard will help the thing in resale.

Besides, as JMX says, why hide Mother Nature's art with a chunk of petroleum waste???

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I got so pissed off at this new "no pickgaurd" trend i put 3 pickguards on each of my basses. :rolleyes:

11. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Why don't luthiers start making laqured over wood pick-guards? I think that would look rather spiffy!

12. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i like pickguards,especially the tortoise shell ones.

13. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i agree with frankencow150. to me there is nothing cooler than a fender jazz bass with a tortoise pickguard, rosewood fingerboard and pearl block inlays. come on, guys! it's a classic! i think pickguards provide a nice contrast to the rest of the bass.

14. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    JD-
    i like that idea, seriously, thad be pretty cool. im also a fan of the funky shell pickguards. dont like solid colors. i still do prefer the look of naked wood though.

cool... huh huh... he said naked wood.... dude...

15. I think a white Jazz with tortoise shell pickgaurd looks tremendous

16. there are LOADS of new basses with pick-guards, i can't be bothered to list them, but warwick, hartke, mike lull etc, are just a tiny few........the point is to give people a bit of variation. Lets not forget the point of the PICK-GUARD in the first place, to protect the body from scratches from the the pick/plectrum
    Nowadays there a lot more people who use fingerstyle and so have no need to cover up there new, sexy, brilliant wood, i know i don't want to.

just my 2 pennies

*Si*

17. i like the look of some pickguards, but functionally, they just don't make sense to me. i mean, pickguards are somewhat helpful on guitars with the strumming and whatnot, but with picking on bass (the way i do it, anyway) it's completely different. my pick never even touches the body of the bass.

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hmm, lots of interesting opinions. I think that if a bass has a fancy finish, or wood tone, such as sparkle or burst, I enjoy it more without a pickguard. If it is a solid color, I think the pickguard gives it more style.

19. i agree, on my White p-bass fretless, i just put a black and white chequred (like chef trousers) pick guard on... and it looks so cool :)
    but it would look stupid on my Bass Collection 5, which has a gorgeous finish

*Si*

20. I think the 3 tone burst jazz with pickguard is the most gorgeous thing in the world.

but premium quilt maple top covered with a what ever kind pickguard? (sa****ky)... why???