Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have you paid attention...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Mar 1, 2006.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

...to the bassline that Geddy Lee plays during the second guitar solo of "Crossroads" (from Rush's "Feedback" EP)? That thing is driving me nuts. This is an awesome version of this classic and while the "slapping without slapping" approach of Geddy is overall very prominent throughout the tune, what he plays in that section (from 2:10 to 2:52) is truly awesome. I've played many Rush tunes and I know that I don't have Geddy's tone, but I've tried to manage his stuff just by plucking hard and letting the fret buzz to be heard (and it works somewhat IMO). But this thing is a "new" Geddy for me. I mean, not even "YYZ" puzzled me this way and frankly, I don't know how to start approaching this 2nd solo section of "Crossroads" (No transcription, of course. I sense open strings combined with fretted notes but that's just the tip of the iceberg). Any opinions or experiences with this? Thank you!

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'll have a little watch of the solo tonight and get back to you, see if I can offer any insight into it, I play a lot of Geddy's stuff and I'm sure I'll be transcribing that song at some point.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Just wanted to give a bump to this thread since my Rush fever is very high these days (I'll let you know why later) and the stuff what this thread is about still puzzles me.