Have you read....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bplayerofdoom, Sep 26, 2002.

1. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

39 vote(s)
  2. The Restraunt at the End of the Universe

28 vote(s)
  3. Life, the Universe, and Everything

24 vote(s)
  4. So Long and Thanks for all the Fish

27 vote(s)
  5. Mostly Harmless

19 vote(s)
  6. NONE

25 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    I have noticed alot of people have read the Hitchhikers guideto the galaxy compared to the normal population. Are you one of them and which ones have you read.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'd have to say I've read them at least a dozen times each, usually in order. My last reading was last summer... great stuff
  3. I've got the first four, haven't picked up the fifth, i heard it wasn't very good. so i'm not straining myself to pick it up, but with luck i'll see it around when i have money in my pocket. these series is second only to "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" an excellent book none-the-less.

Asta Menyata
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i've found that this is one of the best trilogies i've read...5 book trilogy? one answer...42
  5. Pick up "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide"...all five books, plus a short story. Mmm, just the thought makes me want to read it again. No! Must concentrate on studying for exam!! :mad:
  6. I've got it. Black leather bound book, gold trim pages, ribbon bok mark. Very nice looking book and it only cost me $16. I've not read it in a few years, but I have read all the books.
  7. All of them!!
    I've got that book with all the five books. :)
  8. Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    I have not read any of them, but the thread from the other day sure peaked my interest because of the many people that have read them in that thread. I feel like I'm missing out on something.

Could someone give a brief rundown of what they are about? It doesn't need to be long.
  9. I've read a couple of them, and they can't hold a candle to the original radio play. MUCH funnier. Plsu they changed some things for the books compared to the radio play.

Rock on
  10. Read 'em all twice. Really should have another go soon.
  11. I have the complete trilogy in five parts but only made it through the first part before I got fed up with it. I know loads of people rate it highly but I just thought it was complete nonsense crap - IMHO the Red Dwarf series of books are infinitely funnier.
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Love these books. Adams was a clever, clever man. Two others to read that are very similar in style are The Long, Dark Tea Time of the Soul and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Dirk Gently's was a sequel to the first. Great reads.

I've heard about the last book he wrote about all the animals but I haven't read it yet. Heard it was good.

When I played in my former employer's basketball league my number was 42 of course. :)

brad cook
  13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My bass' serial number is 044 - damn, close but no cigar. :(

I read all of his stuff several times, a great mind with a weak heart (as it turned out)..

RIP Douglas Adams.
  14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Read all of them several times. Great books!
  15. I read the first one, liked it. I have the second one sitting on my shelf.. never read it.

16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've read the first one, and my brother owns all of them.

Of course, I'm also a follower of Dirk Gentley.
  17. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I have read all except Mostly harmless

Personally I thought the Guide to be best of the lot.

There are some hysterically funny scenes in these books!
  18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Douglas Adams is great, very clever, witty, and intelligent.

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The universe is big.
  20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

Don't Panic.

Never leave home without a towel.

...and my favorite: Flying is the art of throwing oneself at the ground, and missing.

Also, as has been mentioned, the "Dirk Gently" books are a great read.