Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have you seen the DVD Rental vending machines?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Jul 21, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So yesterday I was grocery shopping and I checked out and saw a strange looking new machine. I went and checked it out and it's a DVD rental machine. You insert a credit or debit card, select a movie or movies and it dispenses them and charges you 1 dollar per day, per movie. Not a bad deal! You bring the movies back and return them by inserting them back into the machine.

They didn't have anything real obscure but they had a decent selection for a machine. I could foresee some problems though...the machine will have to have some way of positively identifying the movies you are returning so no one rents, say, Master and Commander, but returns the copy of Gigli they got as a gift in the Master and Commander packaging. It may have something to prevent that but I don't know as I haven't used it yet. Surely they thought of that.

brad cook

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yep, it's called Flickstation. We've had one in our office for about a month.

It's pretty cool. It won't make me leave NetFlix, but I'll probably end up using it from time to time since I simply have to walk to the break room....

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah.

ATM's get pulled out of their locations by pickup trucks.

I can't imagine what's going to happen to these things.

The ads depicting people sitting on their asses watching the checks roll in are just ludicrous. If life were that easy, the vultures wouldn't be offering it to the late night crowd watching TV as they wait for their next welfare check.

4. i use dvdstation..... www.dvdstation.com
    much the same idea, but you pick up your movies from a human working at whatever store the machine is in.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I still like the cable equivalent, the one where all I have to do is push a button. The selection is still weak, but it gets better all the time.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    :eyebrow: someone pee in yor cornflakes, again, Rick?

I'd pay good money to see someone yank the Flickstation out of our breakroom on the 6th floor. :bassist:

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah this one was actually inside the grocery store. I guess it'd be possible to drive a truck inside the store but the "loss prevention" employees that constantly stand at each door would probably notice it.

Haven't seen the ads myself.

brad cook

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    they are pretty stupid, paraphrased:

you too can be rich!
    $$$$$$$$$
    isn't money great!
    $$$$$$$$
    hawhawhawhaw

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've seen the ads. I doubt any ad that I see on TV. I especially doubt the ads that only appear on TV after midnight.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So the ads are actually selling these DVD vending machines?

brad cook

11. yeah, you buy one for a couple hundred bucks, fill it with expensive DVD's, and get like 50 cents for each movie someone rents from you! by then end of the month you could have over 5 dollars!

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Seems pretty cool. Although, as aforementioned i dont watch TV, as im too Hardcore.

13. write a poem about it.
    :crying:
    or are emo jokes passe now?

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I dont care, if you think its funny then say it.

Good rule for life. I hate poems, of all kinds. (well - most)

I do LOVE Zephaniah :p