Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have You Thought About Using Temelo Bars?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Jim T., May 9, 2004.

1. Steve and Michael,
    Just curious...To my knowledge you guys haven't used tremelo bars much if any(?) Now that Hipshot and others are making more reliable models than those of the past are you interested in incorporating them in your playing?

It would seem that, if anyone could open new avenues for their use it would be you guys!

Have you considered it?

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks

Ahem.... I've been using one for a good while now. Steinberger Transtrem for bass. Oh, yeah, the coolest thing ever.

I use it for alot of instant de-tuning and crazy swooping stuff.

Also, I am drunk. Just thought I would share.

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Jim,

I've tried one out a couple of times - the Hipshot one was the best I've tried so far, but since trying it out, I've started experimenting with the pitch shift algorithm on my Lexicon MPX-G2, and with an expression pedal I can do some pretty cool whammy effects... :)

It would be nice to have a bass with one fitted, but I'm not sure I could use it all the time, and I don't really have space for too many more 'one trick pony' basses at the moment.

having said that, I didn't know that Steinberger ever made a Transtrem for bass, and having heard with David Torn can do with the Transtrem on his guitar, I'd be interested to try one.

Though that new bridge from Hipshot - Trinity? Infinity? whatever it's called - the one with the bridge de-tuners on each string - now THAT I want on a bass!!!!!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    They only made around 200 Transtrems for bass. They are pretty hard to find, but they are the best trem for bass I've ever seen. I've tried Kahlers, Hipshots, and even the Double Whammy thing, and this one is FAR superior. It stays in tune, and the instant detuning thing works very well (Mr. Manring, are you listening?). I don't think it's a one trick pony thing at all; if you aren't using it at the time, it works just like a regular bass.

5. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I'd be fascinated to try a bass with one on - every other trem system I've played on a bass has altered the feel of the instrument sufficiently that I would feel slightly uncomforable playing it without the trem being used... I spend a fair amount of time muting up by the bridge, and have found that two way trems tend to feel a little unstable in that hand position...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

6. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    I have a Steinberger Trans-trem bass which I got in the early nineties. I agree it’s an awesome device and I’ve had big fun with mine. The new Hipshot trem is also very cool.

7. Hi Michael, thanks for joining in!

I envisioned you two having the ability to bend single notes "on your way by" so to speak -within a complex run, etc. Not just the usual chord bending stuff. Taking the trem. thang places it hasn't gone before.

I hadn't thought about the bridge hand/muting aspect and the difference in feel. From what you said above, Steve, it sounds like you could push the strings out of tune easily if you muted too hard with your palm or does it just feel uncomfortably "spongey"?

Are there other considerations of that sort to be concerned with or work around? I've never been able to get my hands on a bass with a bar so that I could see if I'd like one.

Michael, have you recorded anything using your tremelo bar?
    Maybe I've heard it and didn't realize what it was?

Steve, do you know of other less expensive electronic effect solutions to try out?

Thanks!

Thanks, Jim

8. Hipshot Trilogy?

I've got an old copy of Guitarist from 1993 with a review of the Trilogy, and it said there was a bass version available.
    no sign of it on the Hipshot site now though.

you could get several of those Ibanez monorail detuner bridge units though.

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Jim - the only other pitch bend device I've used is the Digitech Whammy which is great fun. Saw John Scofield using it to great effect a week ago... I think Akai do one as well. Always worth checking these things out.

Will have to look out for a Trilogy bridge (thanks for the name correction! :) ) - though those Ibanez thingies sound interesting too...

What I really want right now though, is a 5 string headless bridge, with a detuner on the E string... I know Hohner used to do a drop tune headless bridge... but 'twas only a four string...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

10. there's an Ibanez with the detuning monorail bridge unit reviewed in the mar/april (Rob Trujilo) issue of Bass Guitar magazine.
    seems like there's no reason why you couldn't fit 6 or however many of them- and then add Hiphot detuners on the headstock.

the Hohner DB detuner was licensed off Steinberger- maybe Steinberger did a 5 inc. detuning lever?

Hohner also had an Estring detuner bridge on their headed B bass- just asking for Hipshot detuners on the headstock....

11. Thanks Steve for the effects info. I'll seek them out and give 'em a try.