Have your listening tastes changed since you've had kids?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, May 22, 2003.

1. They've stayed the same.

9 vote(s)
  2. Generally, I'm listening to calmer/less abrasive music.

6 vote(s)
  3. Generally, I'm listening to heavier/more abrasive music.

2 vote(s)
  1. I don't mean hours spent listening to music per day--most parents of babies that I know will forego any amount of free time just to catch up on sleep--but the type of stuff to which you listen.

I'm just wondering about this because I listen to some fairly outré stuff and I'm not sure if exposing small children to Anthony Braxton or Aphex Twin is a good thing.
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I'm not familiar with Anthony Braxton, but I don't see how having a little kid listen to Aphex Twin is a BAD thing, per se. At the very worst they'll get all hyped up and tucker out quicker.

Besides, break beats will help them appreciate rhythmic structure earlier in life. :D
  3. olie

Dec 16, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    I have three kids ranging in age from 4 - 13. I've never sensored any music from my kids, with the exception of music with lyrics that were outside the range of 'good taste' for small kids. Now, the three of them are huge fans of Dream Theater, Audioslave, Devo, Black Sabbatth, and the Jelly Fish... just to name of few. Actually, the only music they seem not to care for is hard core jazz and 'deep' classical... though they get exposed to that... Music is a large part of my life, as are my kids. We share tunes just like we share everything else.

My eldest has started taking bass lessons and coming to jam sessions with me. He's a great listener when he plays. He has a natural sense for dynamics and 'feel'. I think alot if it has to do with the exposure to a wide range of music...

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  5. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have three kids, 17, 13 and 10 and there is such a ruckus when we are all together that I listen to calmer music just to tone the atmosphere in the house. When I am in the car or by myself I crank the harder stuff that I have always liked

Like Olie, for me it is one of life's real pleasures to share music with your kids. I like Weezer, Green Day (their favorites) One of our favorite games in the car is to listen to the classic rock station and they put up with (and actually enjoy) my lectures on why this or that song or group has historical significance.

We're also exploring jazz together recently and that has been very rewarding.
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Max Also enjoys Social Distortion.

Max is just cool like that, I guess.
  7. The answer to Pete's question is, "No".

However it's been interesting to see how my lad's musical taste has been strongly influenced by the music I play. (BTW, I'm 50, he's 8)

When we're in the car he'll select a Status Quo tape, perhaps Led Zep, Hendrix, White Snake.....you get the idea. He really loves it:cool:

Having said that, I don't have any Steps, etc, so he can't listen to those anyway :cool: :cool:

8. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK

Destroy *all* Status Quo tapes before it's too late.

9. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Dad walks into room where 7-year old is listening to Nickleback,makes a face:
    Son:What's wrong?
    Dad:Music is supposed to be a beautiful thing.
    Son:Not ALL the time Dad.
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...damn, that's rich!!
    (SuperDuck-Please get hip to Braxton).

FWIW, Pete-
    Whatever radio station parents played in their Ramblers worked for me...it was Top-40/Pop, but I do recall hearing The Doors, Santana, Motown, Carpenters, Fifth Dimension, Bread, Beatles, Sly, etc anytime I was chaffeured around town.
    When I was very young, I did live in south Philly for awhile; my uncle(Jazz/Latin drummer) hipped me to mucho good stuff(especially after I began attempting to play a bass).

It's only been in the past 10 years or so that I've really delved into the 'outre' material...I think I was at the point where I wanted something different. I dunno; I do recall hating Ascension back when my I first encountered it...now I can't imagine not liking it & not spinning it at least a couple times per year for the remainder of my time here.

In any event, I would say diversity of tastes & being exposed to as much OUTSIDE one's comfort zone is a good thing. Too often, what's "un-relatable" is oft-neglected only because it was never given a chance to become 'relatable'.

...make sense?
  11. Hello Moley.

Wadda mean, destroy Status Quo tapes....?;)

Don't actually like much of their stuff but I really do like the ripping, crunching 12 bars. I genuinely feel better after listening to them. It's basic and honest, nothing intricate and down to earth.

:eek: :D :D

12. I influence my kids and they influence me. I've turned them onto Aerosmith, Led Zepplin and Yes, etc. and they have hipped me to Godsmack,Korn and Sum41, etc.
    Took my kids to a Kool and The Gang show and they were completely blown away (as was I, man Kool just don't get the credit he deserves as a bassist)They clammered for autographs and can't get enough of Get Down On It!
    So I'm happy that they are getting well rounded ears as am I.
    I'm saving the Coltrane for later when their ears get a little bigger.
  13. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    so you're pregnant then ?
  14. Probably explains all the Haagen-Dazs and pickles I've been eating. :D
  15. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    My tastes have not changed because of my children, but my listening habits have changed somewhat.
    I have to censor what they hear - I listen to many different styles myself but I don't expose my children to the often violent or satanic themes of slayer or the sometimes strongly sexual and crass themes of Frank Zappa.

The music that my children (ages 5 and 8) and I enjoy together are:

The Beatles
    Presidents of the USA (both kids' fav. band)
    Primus and other Les Claypool stuff (the kids like the Purple Onion album more than I do!)
    They Might Be Giants
    (selected) Frank Zappa stuff (we're only in it for the money is approved for family listening IMO and is a family favorite at my house)
    RHCP (they love Flea for being the voice of Donny on T.W.T.)
  16. TWT = The Wild Thornberry's ???
    Flea really does voice overs for it? How very cool for him.
  17. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    There are a few songs that have stuck like glue in my mind since I heard them as a kid - Edgar Winters' 'Frankenstein,' for example. Years later, when my dad confessed to a relatively brief period of pot smoking, I figured out that all of the cool rock tunes embedded in my memory came from this era.

Creepy - what kid (of any age) can resist TMBG?!? We have no kids, so my wife and I just have to listen to "No!" by ourselves!

18. Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003
    I have a two year old and I make sure she gets a little of everything.

the music vibe is a pretty powerful thing. Whether some kids song or a punk song, they bring out certain feelings or emotions.

Both of which are good.

I think its good for her....But I'm a new dad and could be creating another Wendy O.... ;) Lets hope not.

Her Favorite song right now is "Timmy the Turtle" by NOFX.

:) GOOD STUFF!!
  19. From a kid's point of view, my parents havn't listened to anything BUT what they listened to... I mean, I listened to Hot Rats when I had to go up with my dad to get for propane for the grill!

and creepy-You wanna know what song everyone in my grade is singing? Particle Man... I kid you not... :eek: :cool: Of course, I knew about TMBG before anyone else did
  20. From the childs point of view;

No, what my parents listened to didn't change. It was still The Beatles, Wings, Bread, John Lennon, that kinda thing. There was also my dad's blues guitar playing, there was a lot of that.

*Now* I'm 18, I'm into lots and lots of music.... except what my parents brought me up with. I can't stand Bread or John Lennon. I prefer stuff from SYL and Botch to Miles Davis (my father can't stand jazz, so I never heard the music, just him putting it down) and classical to pop.

Also, since their divorce, my father's listening has stayed the same, while my mum enjoys the Who, the Ramones, The Clash like never before. She has also taken an interest in jazz (of the Latin variety) which I don't think she would have even touched while he was still around.