Haven't watched TV in 7 months. Not sure I want to go back...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by miko, Jan 2, 2004.

1. mornin' and happy new year to all. hope your hangovers are sufficiently nursed by now.

so given my abyssmal financial situation over the past several years, i became delinquent on my cable bill. i finally gave up 7 months ago, and just told them to cut my service, which meant i had no reception, and hence, no TV.

at various points in the evening, i would become bored and frustrated with nothing to watch. this was compounded by the fact that i also had to sell my nice stereo, and had no musical outlets, either! [you can see where this is headed]...

anyhow, we have TV at work. i just turned it on since my boss is away, to check out the news.

i was immediately turned off! like, i really feel i missed nothing, and nothing i saw on CNN told me anything more or less than the newspaper and radio. it was just noisier and glitzier and more stressful to take in.

maybe i should just leave my cable disconnected?

2. you should. instead of paying for a cable bill, stick to the papers and internet.

put the TV bills towards a better internet connection, and you could download all your favourite TV shows !! :D
  3. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Never turn it on again.
  4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    You haven't missed a thing! Nothing but a bunch of so called "reality" televsions shows. I find that I watch the History channel or documentary shows more than anything else. May give it up altogether!
  5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    How do you watch hockey?
  6. You'd be better off I'd say. Without it that is. At least just get the bare minimum (in Ireland the "bog standard") channels, as long as you have a bass and something to read when your fingers get tired, you'll be grand!
  7. I havent had tv in about 4 years...i dont miss it all. I can find more constructive things to do with my time.
  8. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    We average about 3hrs a week in my household now. That includes a Saturday night DVD rental. Cutting way down has seemed to create a more peaceful, close knit family unit. We have game nights with the kids, reading nights, music nights etc... Everyone seems happy. It wasn't always that way though. If I could have a nickel for every half hour of my life I've already wasted watching idiotic sitcoms and such...I'd be able to purchase one very expensive bass for sure.
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I have an antenna that picks up one channel, NBC. The only thing it's good for, Conan.

My family has cable though and I sometimes watch Comedy central there. What are you missing? Half hour television programs that have been done to death which in reality are 13 minute shows and 17 minute commercial breaks, TV has just become overrun with commercials, it's getting worse and worse.

All TV shows that matter are coming out with DVDs so maybe that's something to consider.

Since I've almost given up on TV completely my bass playing has improved over a short period of time. I'm near completion of my self produced album, and I feel a whole lot freer.

I'll admit that some TV still appeals to me, Comedy Central as stated, VH1 even though they play the same "best of everything" lists every day it seems, and Conan O' Brien. But I only get to watch Conan on a nightly basis, the rest is when I visit the folks. Oh and new SNL... which isn't that funny.

So yeah, I don't think all TV is terrible, just 90% of it.
  10. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah, your not missing much. every once in a while there will be a few good movies on, and shows (ex. conan), but it's 80% commercials, so unless you want to watch more commercials for credit cards, and mcdonalds, it doesn't really matter.
    don't get it.
  11. A few years ago, my TV broke, and I couldn't bring myself to get a new one, so I had no TV for 3 years. Like there's ever anything on that you can't download.

Then my girlfriend moved in and wanted TV. When I applied for cable, I got this message stating I hadn't been paying for three years! I didn't even have a subscription! But apparently, their computers can't handle a no-subscription address. DUMBasses! They never got back to me, though, once I returned their app form.

So now there's TV again. I watch the news and about 2 series, and the occasional movie. All the other AV entertainment is downloaded or rented.

I hate the fact that you can't pick when to watch something. Recording it so you can, is too much of a hassle. Besides the VCR is out. And I hate commercial breaks. In the Netherlands we don't get half the breaks you US people get, but still it annoys the hell out of me.
  12. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    damn. i want half the commercial breaks here. lucky :p.
  13. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    yeah your tv really really sucks.
    it's like 'credits - break - 5 mins - break - break - two lines of dialogue - break'

14. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    I don't think TV is bad in itself. Like anything else it can be useful in moderation but can be overused and abused to the point that it has a negative impact on your life. We record all our favorite programs so we can skip through the annoying and excessive commercial breaks. In my view, there is very little of quality on TV. One has to separate the wheat from the chaff. And there's a whole lot of chaff. ;)

I think though if in the absence of TV you feel nothing is missing from your life, why bother with the expense of getting it back again? As StupidMatt pointed out, the good stuff can be had on DVD. We recently rented a couple volumes of CSI and Band of Brothers. We found both to be very enjoyable and it was nice to view them at our leisure and without the commercials.
  15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Don't know if they have it in Europe, but:

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I like having a TV. I can play my son's "Crazy Taxi" game with it!
    I also like the occasional flick, but it's just a vehicle to entertain.

Good Luck staying away, you're not missing anything really.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually the standard format is 22 minutes for every half hour, and multiples therein.

I haven't had TV in about 4 months, and I'm just fine. Don't miss it at all.

On the other hand, I do have cable internet. But the thing about the internet is that it requires some level of cognitive participation. Choosing where to go, what to listen to, reading... I like to think of it as TV 2.0
  18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, we have TV at the apartment in boston, and we have it here in Westlake CA, but it really doesn't appeal to me anymore, I turned it on the other day, for the first time in about two or three weeks, and I turned it off about 4 minutes later.

I still watch conan occasionally, and last night the funk brothers were on leno, which was cool(only caught the end of it though)

but ultimately, TV just doesn't do it for me. Internet is far more interesting, though, I fear that will get old soon too, well then back to books! I haven't done any serious reading in a while, except for the jazz theory book that is. ;)

edit: though [Adult Swim] on cartoon network is still pretty watch-able, particularly because they only have 1 commercial break for each show and it's at the halfway mark, while it is a little longer than a standard break, it's still far nicer than having 2 or 3 breaks.
  19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    congratulations on the no TV. i grew up with a TV set being the center of my family's existence, so it's a little hard for me to part with mine. i don't feel it ever gets in the way of my life though - it's mindless entertainment for me, a way to relax, and i don't really watch it all that ofter. just couldn't see myself parting with it. this plastic box in front of me right now is MY real challenge. i waste waaaaaaaaaay too much time in front of the computer. i'm hacking away at cutting it down though, and i'm having a wee bit of success.

the best thing i ever cut out (aside from drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, sugar, meat, and lots of other things that were destroying my body :) )was the newspaper. i resent newspapers! i think they're evil. i think the purpose of newspapers is to create fear and bring down our society. i hate newspapers so much that i'm going to go start a thread about them in the lounge.... and in doing so nurse this here little internet addiction.

despite the fact that i keep giving up all the fun things in my life, i have a really fun life. really i do. :D