having a 2nd less expensive bass for gigs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matito, Mar 15, 2006.

1. how many of you guys have a really good bass
    and then have a less expensive bass for some gigs?

I have a american 75 RI jazz bass and a mexican jazz bass

I don't whether I should sell the mexican or keep it for some gigs that might seem dodgy? incase it might get damaged or stolen etc

what you guys think?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Basses are meant to be played. A MIA jazz isnt so expensive that you should be afraid to play it. Go ahead and gig with it.
  3. well yeah, i've used it at every gig I have played since I got it.

i guess I'm thinking more if i should bother hanging onto the mexican or just sell it
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you dont need money, dont sell it.

If you DO need money...
  5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Selling it probably won't get you too much money, and if it's a good instrument, it may be worth keeping.

You might some day end up playing at a really sketchy place. One of my best friends made the mistake of taking a nice instrument to a frat party gig. He was pretty pissed when some pinhead spilled a beer all over his Leslie.
  6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Yeah, it never hurts to have a "beater." Some day, somewhere you'll have a gig where there is no stage, or you're outdoors and there's a chance of rain or {insert other less than ideal conditions here..}. If you can afford to keep it, keep it. Just my $.02.
  7. burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    Amen. You can never have too many basses. Until your wife tells you you do...
  8. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I think that when you invest in a really nice instrument that you prize and get to know really well, you would hate to be without it any time you play. If you "force" yourself to play a beater out, you'll just be making comparisons in your mind all night long.

So, I say take the good one out with you. If you are that concerned, insure it.

Of course, some people buy beater basses, wind up loving them, and then they become the #1. I'd argue that the same risk of loss applies there anyway.
  9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I used to have basses for show, but then decided if I wasn't gonna play them, I wasn't gonn aown them.
  10. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    Lately, I have been debating whether or not to bring my Ibanez SR505 as a back-up bass.

Unless there was a need, I have normally brought only my main bass.

11. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston

True dat, brotha!

12. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I always bring a backup bass. In the extremely unlikely event you should break a string, you can grab the backup and keep going. It sucks to have to fill time with idle banter while someone is changing a string. Basses have been known to break. Again, it's unlikely, but what if a solder joint on your volume pot decides to let loose for whatever reason? No backup = no bass player the rest of the gig. If I'm playing outdoors or in a real dive, I leave my #1 bass at home and bring #2 and #3. Dancing drunks have been known to crash into guitarists and bassists, knocking them over and breaking the neck off their instrument. Would you like your #1 bass broken by a drunk?

Better to bring the backup and never need it. And better to leave your best bass at home if it's a place you wouldn't bring your mother.

The preceding is the opinion of scottbass. Disagreement is not a cause for alarm.
  13. I'm on complete agreement! great advice man, i think i'll keep it for the reasons you said!

your a wise man!

and thanks to all the other poster's. i'll think i'll keep it aws backup
  14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I use my best basses to gig. Thats the point

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  16. Depends on the gig. I've only gigged once with more than one instrument onstage, but I've never played an especially rowdy event (all of my gigging in college was either university-sponsored events or jazz "casuals"). If I were playing a dive bar in North Hollywood, though, I might be a little hesitant to bring anything expensive with me.
  17. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Nearly every time I brought a backup I had to use it. I quit bringing one and never needed it. Worst ever was the night my Stingray's preamp took a dump so I grabbed the backup and when I hit the E string it broke. That sucked.
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I always bring one of my top 3 to a gig.

I always bring another as a backup, and usually play it on at least one set.
  19. I'm about to pick up a (really) cheap Jay Turser MusicMan knock-off to use as a gigging bass, but just because I'd rather not be playing my old P-bass. This JT weighs about half what my P does, and it has a more agressive sound (I play metal), so it seems like a good setup.
  20. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Screw that, I'm showing off my best basses. With what I have now, I'd bring both my basses, a fretted and a fretless.