Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Having a Bass Built

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Jan 28, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I have a contact at Luthiers Access shopping my ideas and spec's for a new bass around to several luthiers he thinks would be interested, (e.g., Fudua, Chris Larkin, Stambaugh, Jerzy Drozd, Garz, et al). The thing is, the closest I've had to a custom bass is the Carvin I bought last Dec. and I'm in the dark about how the process goes.

Would appreciate any advice, description of the process, what to look out for, any insights in general.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I've had two basses built and can't imagine not having face to face contact during the design and building processes. Some of the ideas I had were not what luthier Paul Iverson would have been comfortable with without getting to know me and understanding my specific needs. I'm sure any of the guys you mentioned would build a good instrument but just 'cause a guy is good doesn't mean he will be the best collaborator with you on an instrument for you. I'd look for a guy close or be willng to travel. Either that or find someone willing to use email and the phone to get to know you; someone who wants to so this.
    just my .02

3. rickbass

Jeff- Your 2cents is worth $$$$ to me. Thanks!!!

4. You might want to contact our own John Turner about this subject. As far as I know, he's had more custom basses built of larger scale and complexity than anyone. He probably has some insights into this process

5. rickbass

Hambone- That's a good idea I hadn't considered, although he is so tight with Bill and Phil at Conklin, I imagine they can practically read his mind. (Plus, he probably gets volume discounts, if not for strings/bridges/tuning gears at least for sheer amount of work ;) ) Thanks!