1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

having a bass I dont like

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Step, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Step

Step

Feb 20, 2008
    Maastricht
    hi people, I just want to share a story and hear your opinion on it

in march I bought myself a Reggie Hamilton Sig Jazz Bass, and I loved it, the EQ was nice, sound was nice

one thing bothered me and that was that the neck didnt really fit me, but as it is my second bass I thought: hey, i will get used to it

so I played it, and it was nice, but in the end I just felt like I could have gotten something that was more to my liking for the money I spent

so, I love this bass in almost all its facets, sound, looks, but I just dont dig it
    I cant seem to see it as being mine, or being something I want to keep for 10-20 years
    I currently enjoy playing my squier more, so thats saying something

anyway, anyone feel the same about a particular bass before?

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Yup.

That's the magic of variety. Everyone wants something different.

Just trade it in to someone who may have something you like and they may want the Reggie.

3. I feel the same exact way about my MTD Z5, when I got it, I was so crazy excited, I like the tone (has quite a bit of highs... but the eq takes care of it a lot) , the neck is comfortable... Just something doesn't sit right... I could have gotten something more for me like you said.

Looking back I think the biggest reason I got it was that I was getting it for a steal new...

Looking back , I could have, and should have gotten something more me for the money, or saved a bit longer for something.

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    If its the neck, why not get a new one and slap it on there?

5. Step

Step

Feb 20, 2008
    Maastricht
    EXACTLY

I got it because I went to the shop with my teacher and it was the best bass in that shop

the teacher knew the owner so I got 10% off

6. Pretty much what happened at the time for me too. The guy who got me into bass was with me, we went to a shop he goes to frequently.

At the time he played an MTD 535. And he made it sing... it had a lot more woody kind of sound than the Z5 does... but I saw MTD and was like "YES"

hahahaha fail....

But, it is a quality instrument, and I can deal with it (or at least I have to :smug:)

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Have you gotten a setup? You know how many Fenders out there haven't had a decent setup. Might play 200% better...

8. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I'm right there with you. Neck feel is HUGE. I built a bass a couple of years back. I managed to score a Fender "Genuine Replacement" 62 jazz neck. I thought it was perfect, and since it was such a rare find (Fender doesn't sell it's own replacment necks anymore) I tried for years to convince myself that I would like it. This despite my preference being P-bass size necks.

4 years later I finally sold the neck to finance the purchase of a warmoth neck of my preferred size.

If it ain't you, give it a setup and a chance and then move on.