Having a bit of a writers block

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bass_ollie, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Bass_ollie

Bass_ollie Guest

Dec 7, 2014
    I have been playing for about a year now and I have spent a lot of time learning scales and arpeggios and keeping time and I can do that all very well but I don't know where to go from there. I really don't have a desire to keep covering songs. I really love playing I'm just stuck. Any ideas where to go? Thanks in advance!

2. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Old trick of mine is to take a piece of sheet music and play it backwards. It will unscrew your mind, although might not sound too good.

3. Bass_ollie

Bass_ollie Guest

Dec 7, 2014
    I never would have thought to do that I'll definitely give that a try thanks!

4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Find a guitarist or keyboardist and throw some original spontaneous musical ideas around.

Join an originals band seeking a bass player.

Nothing like playing with others to get yourself motivated and inspired.

bswag likes this.
  5. bswag

bswag Guest

Dec 21, 2013
    What he said. Most of us need some interaction with others to develop. It's the fastest way to get beyond yourself.

tangentmusic likes this.
  6. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Something else along those same lines I like to do is just randomly start playing whatever notes wherever. Try and make the biggest pile of mashed up sounds you can muster. Every now and then you'll stumble on something, perhaps a diamond of a melody in a turd.

7. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Song composition is much easier with a six string guitar than a bass.

8. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Couldn't have agreed more. Do you play an instrument other than bass? I started on bass in 1969 then finally got into guitar in 1996 and it's one of the best things I ever did. There's no way I could have written most of my songs on bass alone.

Jah Wobble Fan likes this.
  9. Bass_ollie

Bass_ollie Guest

Dec 7, 2014
    I don't play a lot of guitar but I know my way around chord. I will use it to put together progressions on top of my bass lines I've written