1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Having a "feel" issue with new strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by biguglyman, May 30, 2018.

1. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    A couple months ago I decided I wanted to try flats on my extra-long scale Carvin. Mr. Slappindafunk from bassstrings online was extremely helpful in finding me a set that fits perfectly and sounds great. He even sent me a six string set for the same price as the five string set that was out of stock. La Bella Flats 760FS-CB-XL The issue I'm having is with how they feel under my fingers. An almost tacky feel and not the buttery, smooth feel I get with the Labellas on my Beatle bass. Is this normal for this particular string set? Will it get better or is there anything I can do to ameliorate this? Any feedback is appreciated.

2. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    It has been my experience that that feeling usually fades away with use. The more you play 'em, the smoother they will feel.

(Except for the LaBella "gold" flats — but they are made of a very different material than your typical flats.)

soulman969 likes this.
  3. Most flats start out feeling sticky. This has to do with the residue of the compound used in the final polishing process. The stickiness does go away eventually.

I always give new strings a thorough wipedown with dry cloth up and down several times BEFORE installation.

This is what I usually end up with: (Yes, I'm talking about brand new strings out of the package.)

dWkWjidGEb-udxO8l7scSjb1DPBRuwqb_evkEnoI76s4Zb5hby_6HHiog2KJWKuUuqT97BoemUIoc_IYQS0=w750-h422-no.

quickfix and biguglyman like this.