1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Having a hard time finding 17mm tuners!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SanDiegoHarry, Nov 17, 2010.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    So I bought this nice neck from the Warmoth showcase...

No, I wasn't thinking 100% clearly - it looked *pretty*, so I bought it. Teach me.

The neck arrived and I realized that the tuner holes are 17mm - which doesn't match anything except the Schaller tuners that Warmoth sells - - BUT IS BACK ORDERED ON!!

Now, I can't believe that Warmoth is the only retailer to sell these - but I've googled, I've searched every sales web site I know of...

I'm not married to the the Schaller tuners that Warmoth sells - in fact, I'm not wild about the "set pins" I'd have to drill holes for - I'd prefer a different brand, to be honest - but I want a nice fit- -

Can someone point me in the right direction? I need 4 left and 1 right tuner (it's a 4+1 headstock) and I'd like them in silver/chrome. Hipshot, Schaller - whatever - just 17mm!!!

thanks much!

2. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    Convert 17mm to "inches" and it's very close to 1/2". Any 1/2" type tuners will work. I did the same thing, got a screaming deal on a really nice figured maple neck. I used Hipshot Ultralights. (larger size) and they fit like a glove, but make sure that if you put a finish on it, you don't get any in the holes. (perfect sleave fit)

Of course Warmoth won't tell you this.

Cheers.

3. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    17mm is actually ~.67 inches - very nearly 3/16" wider than 1/2". ... It's .46mm from 11/16, however, which I had considered should I be able to find tuners with 11/16 width (old fenders???)

4. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    12.7 mm is 1/2". 17mm is closer to 11/16".

Gotoh makes some 17mm tuners, or you could drill out to 18mm and use Wilkinsons. 11/16" tuners should drop right in; there's only 0.018"
    difference between 11/16" and 17mm, and it's in your favor.

5. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    And for any of your retailers reading this: If you're going to sell bass tuners - ANY bass tuners - Why don't you list the shaft size? Allparts? MF? Nope. Just "Tuners - they're great. Buy them!" - - The diameter *is* a rather important data point, yes?!?!?

6. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Hmmm - 11/16" would be darned close - I might have to do a bit of sanding to get the bushing to fit, but nothing tragic...

and the price is decent too! - order placed!

I had not heard of "bass parts resource" - I've book marked them. Cheaper than BestBassGear (though BBG has great service, gotta say!)

7. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Just for reference, since the measurements are fast & loose so far:

18mm = 0.7086"
    11/16" = 0.6875"
    17mm = 0.6693"

GL with the Hipshots! Guitar/Bass Parts Resource has lots of nice stuff, both OEM and 3rd party. Service is good too.

8. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    This is why I'm banking that the 11/16" will end up working. They guy who thought 17mm was close to 1/2" inch must have gone to a different school than I :)D)

11/16" = 17.4625 mm... less than 1/2 mm diameter means less than 1/4mm difference at any point in the circumference... that's not much when dealing with wood (jet engine parts - sure. Maple? Not much!)

9. CoreyP

CoreyP

Jul 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Necro thread! I'm in a similar spot with having a Warmoth neck on the way and second guessing the BM7 keys - did the 11/16 bushings work out for you in the 17mm peg holes?

10. maskedman72

maskedman72

May 1, 2011
    Arizona
    i am also in this boat right now. did the 11/16 tuners fit the 17mm hole?

11. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Anybody try this?