Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Having a LOT of trouble with my recorded tone! Please Help.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Mar 29, 2005.

1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I really need help with this. I just don't like my tone when my band records. We record the bass from an SVT-350 rig XLR Direct Out into a nice mixing board and into a Soundblaster Audigy 2, if I'm not mistaken. At this point, I don't use any pedals whatsoever. My bass is a Schecter Elite-4 string which I upgraded with EMG35J pickups both bridge and neck.

I like my tone alright in live settings. I don't prefer the SVT rig as it is my friend's rig and I don't feel like hawling my SWR rig around (though I like the tone of my SWR more). Once recorded, my bass just sounds flat, toneless, amateurish, and lost. It just sounds distant and lifeless. Even when playing with a bit more onboard tone boost and heavy slap play it still sounds a little bit distant and squashed.

I really need help fixing this problem. I really hope it's an EQ or mixing/setting issue and not my bass/pickups in general because I can't afford a new bass right now.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    -Eric.

2. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
    Search for: compressor // compression
    Check your levels

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would bring my own rig and use a mic.

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I've done a lot of searching on these forums for compression, believe me! That might not be it, though. I don't think the answer to all my problems is in a simple compressor. I will, however, try to get my hands on a compressor by the next practice.

Any other suggestions?

-Eric.

5. Oftentimes folks will mix a miked amp with a DI signal to get the deffinition of the DI but the omph of the amp. I think a DI'ed bass just in general sounds exactly like you aptly described. Unless of course you have high quality preamps like the pros.

You may also consider going really clean into the board and skip the amp DI, just plug the bass into the board, especially if you are mixing more than one signal. That way you will have a flat base bass signal that you can EQ.

But, I use a POD so what the hell do I know...

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Definatley try micing. Going direct from the amp to the board cuts outa big part of your tone: your cabs. Unless you are using cabinet emulation (like the POD or COSM software) you will lack a lot of the color and depth of your real tone.

7. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    It's possible that the Audigy 2 is your problem, not your rig. Is there a friend's recording rig you could try, someone with an Mbox, etc that was made to record music? Just a thought. A poor A/D converter could easily make your bass sound "squashed." All 24/96khz devices are NOT created equal.

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Actually Creative just settled a lawsuit regarding the Audigy 2 and the fact that it doesn't actually do 24/96 recording after all, only playback and even then only under limited circumstances.

9. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    go get an akg d112. set it about three inches off the speaker cone. run it into a cheap presonus or joemeek compressor, and voila.

10. I have had a similar problem, and it wasn't until I had argued blue in the face with the other band members that I convinced them to try another soundcard. The Soundblaster thingo just didn't have the sound.

Many problems solved there. just a thought...

11. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I can't skip the amp altogether because I need to hear myself, but I think that there is a definate problem with his soundcard/no compressor combination. Thanks again.

-Eric.