1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Having a problem with basslines STC-3M4 system

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Mar 21, 2006.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I built a bass and installed the system and the basslines MM style replacement pickup and I am getting a lot of noise. The pickup works and the knobs work correctly but the noise is nasty. I did shield the control cavity. Could this have caused some type of ground loop giving me trouble? I didnot run a ground with to the bridge. I didn't think I was supposed to. Any tips? I e-mailed Basslines and am waiting to hear back from them. Thanks ..Tom

2. I have not used basslines pickup, but MM type pickups are humbuckers. If you wire one of the lead sets incorrectly you could effectively cancel the bucking of the hum (sorry, couldn't resist that one). You might want to try switching the leads on one of the bobbins (at the pot side, of course). I had this problem with a P pickup once. Switching solved the problem.

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Well it hisses even without the pickup in circuit. I am buying a new unit. Sometimes with e-bay you loose. :spit:

4. BeauLeopard

BeauLeopard BLDesign Custom Basses

Apr 14, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Sounds like a grounding problem. Are all the components grounded including the shielding and jack? You don't need to run a ground to the bridge.

5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Yup all is grounded I guess it is just a noisey system. Seymour suggested it have a bridge ground. Even with the new unit installed. It only is nasty if you turn up the volume and treble to full..t

6. BeauLeopard

Apr 14, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I've used a few STC preamps and if the level on the mini pots on the circuit board are too high it can cause excessive noise. Other than that I've got no ideas.

... Who needs that confounded treble anyway! :D

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    funny I understood those only were in circuit when the slap switch is activated..t

8. BeauLeopard

Apr 14, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Oh yeah... nevermind... brain fart :eek: