Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Having acrylic routing templates made?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tekhna, Jan 3, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Does anyone have any idea where I could get something like this fabricated, or is it that I might need to learn how to work the acrylic myself?

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    There are people that do watercutting, which is marvellous for acrylic.

But to answer your question, it would help to know where you are - guess you're not interested in intercontinental business? :rollno:

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

I am all for intercontinental biz! I am studying international law, so international buisness goes hand in hand. I wonder if a local glass cutting type place could do it for me...

4. By that, Suburban was alluding to you filling out your profile so that we know where you are. The answer to your question has many options depending on which continent you're standing on.

A glass cutter won't be helpful. They like things nice and square without holes in the middle. In fact, unless you have a precise pattern, no one will be able to do this for you. And they aren't going to take the time to hunt down a pattern or figure it out from parts you drop off. So, if you've got a precise pattern, you are halfway to making it yourself. It is extremely simple. You can make a template from plex (expensive and somewhat difficult to work if you aren't familiar with it) or MDF (very easy to work and cheap) or plywood (quality birch voidless) or even Masonite (for thin templates). First you cut your screw bosses with the proper sized drill. Then, you route the sides by taping straight edges to the pattern and running the bit to the edge then taping the straight edges to the ends and doing the same thing. When you are done, do a little clean up and you are through. I takes about 20 minutes to make a template and you save what? $15 + shipping? That's worth it to me. You can get a pattern from most of the vendors. They usually have a template that is downloadable for their pups. But remember, for Jazz pups, most templates will work with most other pups.

Hope this helps

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I hate making pickup templates. I have considered going to a machine shop and having a set of MDF templates for all the conceivable soapbar and simpler pickup sets made many times. In the end I have put it off to the point where don't have time and end up making the templates as Hambone describes.

6. There's this guy down in florida who will laser cut any CAD template you draw. He makes them out of masonite. He's name is Ronny Trigo, I forget his site name but it's something like guitarbuildingtemplates.com or something like that, do a search. He's also got an ebay store.

(thanks for the correction, ham)
    Wilser

7. Just for clarity would it be that Ronny will cut our CAD file from Masonite with a laser?

Your sentence was a little hard to grasp. But that's a neat thing.

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    LAser cutting masonite?? That guy has a great sprinkler system, for sure....

In my town, there is a water cutting business, that will cut from CAD (.dxf) file or drawn pattern, in whatever material. Max 10 mm steel, IIRC, or thicker in other material.

If you want someone else to make your pattern, search your neigbourhood for a water cutter.

I make my own, so far, according to Hambones description, from plywood (softwood, not void free, works anyway!) or MDF (easier), 12mm (1/2") thick.
    MAking your own is more fun - and more work.