1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Having an Issue With Reverb.com

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by iandmcelroy, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Hi Folks,

I'm having a bit of an issue with reverb.com and would like a little advice from anybody with experience dealing with them, or just advice in general.

I purchased an amp that was described as "mint" from a seller using my CC and got the amp a little later than expected due to the forrest fires. The amp worked pretty well until the it warmed up and it started making a horrible low end hum that was louder than the actual sound of the guitar coming out of the speaker. I thought it was the power tubes so I ordered a matched set and put those in, but it only made the hum brighter in tone.

I contacted the seller and they said that it was "working perfectly" and must have be damaged in shipping and they would start a claim. They did that, and I took the amp in for repair. Turns out all of the capacitors needed replacement and a few of the tubes were old - tubes I get, but if an amp is described as "mint" the proper maintenance should have been done to keep the amp in "mint" condition.

I contacted the seller to let them know that the issue was not a shipping damage issue, but that the internals of the amp were not functioning as described and they said they did not feel as though they were responsible. I contacted reverb regarding the issue and they gave me a partial refund that did not cover the the cost of the repair, and then upon a deeper inspection it turns out all of the vactrols have been fried indicating a serious power surge that has damaged the functioning of the amp. There are more issues, but this is becoming a book.

Reverb is now taking a long time to respond to emails and basically ignoring me after I have tried to deal with the issue. At this point I want my money back and I'll eat the cost of the repair that that wasn't refunded, but reverb will not talk to me.

Should I just chargeback my card, or be a little more patient with Reverb as they try to sort this out? If anyone has dealt with reverb I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you.

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I don’t have any advice as to how to deal with Reverb.com, but I do have an issue with sellers using the word “mint”. The description “mint” is almost always misused as an exaggeration of an item’s condition. “Mint” literally means newly minted, as in fresh from the factory. If these marketplace websites are going to offer protection to buyers when a product is “not as described”, then they should be prepared to backup the buyer when the seller describes something as “mint”. EBay discourages the term “like new”, and I believe the term “mint” should be dealt with in the same manner.

iandmcelroy likes this.
  3. That's my feeling as well. Mint is mint not "not functioning properly, but looks good".

4. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    i'd prob go straight to CC company and start there

iandmcelroy and redstrand like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021