Having basses sent AIRMAIL-Flight Cases? Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silverthread, Jul 25, 2000.

1. silverthread

Jul 12, 2000
    I'm considering buying a bass and having it sent airmail from the US to the UK. It comes in a Fender hard case, but what about the change in altitude? Will it **** up the electronics, because I've heard it does. Would the Fender hard case act as good as a flight case? Or would the shipping include a flight case? I'm buying it from a person on ebay...so please help! Thanks.
  2. Back in 1990 i went to the Mediterranean on a DOD/USO tour and flew with a Fender P bass in a hardshell case and had no problems at all. I can't see how that would possibily effect the electronics. I did loosen the strings and wrapped duct case around the case. If anything, it would effect the neck, but i don't think that's likely either.
    This is off topic i know, but why is there so much praise on this board for MIM Jazz Fenders, but not much said about MIM Fender P's? I have a MIM Fender P coming i bought off ebay with a case for 200$. Also, why do so many people modify the MIM's? I could be missing the point, but i think all the talk of changing the bridge is much ado bout nothing. I have a Badass bridge in a fretless bass, and i can't tell any diff then any other bridge. Pickup's may be another stoty, but once i get the bass set up as needed, it should be great! Trent

Keep it country!
  3. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'll handle some of those MIM J questions.

I think it gets recommended a bit more over the P because most are purchased by beginners who might prefer the thinner neck. At the same time, one of the best students I ever had has very small hands and loves her MIM P.

Secondly, the J has a *bit* more versitility than the P, tone wise. Not that that is important to a beginner, but perhaps down the road a bit (and these are basses you can keep forever, P or J).

Thirdly, many are looking to slap, and anybody that's ANYBODY knows you can't slap on a P. ( [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] j/k)

As far as the instant modifications are concerned, I agree with you. I think many get caught up in "better bridge, tuners, pups" etc before they actually explore what the bass can do by itself. Check my profile and you'll see quite a few Fenders, none of which have been modified in any way. Even the Squier P has a respectable tone already built in.

On the other hand, Leo Fender designed the line to be modular, allowing players to customize their guitars and basses as they see fit. There's nothing wrong with players that do that (didn't Jaco make a small tweak or two to that thing he played? [​IMG]). But overall, I like Fenders just as they are...I'd rather spend my time playing and writing than soldering and screwing. (Uh, screwing bridges onto a bass is what I mean. [​IMG]).

Back to the topic...I think you should at least have the seller put the whole thing in a very strong box. Is there a "Mailboxes ETC" equivelent in the shipper's area?...Altitude shouldn't affect the electronics at all, but do have the seller loosen the strings.

[This message has been edited by gmstudio99 (edited July 26, 2000).]
  4. I guess i should start another thread with this huh gmstudio? lol But, why do you say that a J is more versitile tone wise than a P? Just curious. My hands are not big, but i learned to play 20 years ago on my dads 65 Fender P, so that's what i gravitite towards.
    Slapping huh? "Sigh." Nothing amuses me more then to go into a music store and watch guys abuse the different basses with totally insipid and undiciplined slapping that cannot even be termed as musicial. I'm thinking, 1. How can this make this person determine to buy this bass? and 2. How could this possibily fit into a band situation? And it's not just kids that do it either. Now i play country, and to me slapping is like garlic, a little goes a long ways, but make it count when you do do it. Of course, i love hearing the slapping sound on upright basses.
    Yes, i said that "dirty word" COUNTRY! lol. I do get tired at times at the almost total disrespect at the artform that is country music and country bass playing, wwhich sadly i fear is a dying art form as the current "country"(?) i have to play is anything but. Most is just total pop/dance/ rock ect. It's a joke to have it on country radio. It has honestly been my experience that country players can play rock. blues, funk ect ALOT better than rock or funk guys can play country. I've seen some non-country players try to play it and fail in both a miserable and humorous way. It's not really funny to me to see a player struggle, but it is in the context that so many knock or hate country for sme strange reason so i do take satisfaction when some guy that says country is "easy" and then can't play it. I watched this rock guy one time that couldn't even find his a$$ on a 3 chord standard country shuffle called "Heart over mind" and then told me that "country sucks anyhow." lol Trent

Keep it country!
  5. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trent-35:
    why do you say that a J is more versitile tone wise than a P? Just curious. My hands are not big, but i learned to play 20 years ago on my dads 65 Fender P, so that's what i gravitite towards.

IMO, the P does one sound, yet it does it very very very well. The Jazz has a bit of a wider range of tonal variation, and was designed that way.

I agree with you on the "slap" thing...a very little goes a long way. That's very annoying in stores.

-GM, not a slapper
  6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I wouldn't get too excited about it. The seller should put the bass case in a cardboard box with padding (bubble wrap or shock-absorbing cardboard) around it (especially ends), and it should survive well. Not sure what kind of case it is -- if it's the SKB tight-fit kind, no prob, and if it's the old Fender, otherwise generic case that lets the bass swim around inside, balled up newspaper and stuff should be inserted, just enough to keep it in position. NOT bubble wrap, which can screw up the finish if it is against it. The strings should be loosened slightly (a couple full steps is enough).

I recently sold a G&L L2500 to a gent in Kuwait -- it was shipped DHL and made it just fine. Obviously, if they drop the box off the plane and it hit the end, the case might crack or give, but most quality cases protect instruments quite well. Just be sure to insure it for full value.

- Bob
    eclectic bass - <A HREF="http://www.gollihur.com/bass.html" TARGET=_blank>
    <A HREF="http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/basslink.html" TARGET=_blank>
    DoubleBass LINKS page -