1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Having Issues with a GK 700RB..need help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by line6bassist, Jun 4, 2014.

1. I got a gk 700 that every once in a while loses sound with a weird type of distortion...almost like a blew a cabinet and then all of a sudden comes back to normal. I tried it with different cabs, change out the cables and even tried different basses with the same results. I know its the amp so I don't know what it can be..anyone?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Do you ever use the effects loop? If not the contacts on the return jack may be oxidized and causing your problem. Try putting a cable in the loop to see if this eliminates the cutting out; if it does you just have to clean the jacks.

3. never use the effects loop but ill give it a shot....thanks Jeff Scott!

4. Jefff

Jefff

Aug 14, 2013
    Chicago
    I cleaned my FX loops quite a few times. I finally just plugged a 6 inch cable into the in and out.

Problem solved.

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    does it make scratching noises when you adjust the control knobs on your gk 700-rb? If so, I had that problem to with the gk 700rb I use to own. You can fix that problem by using contact cleaner on the control knobs. First remove the knobs from the control panel. Next, unscrew the top part of the bass head and take out the control panel plate. Then spray the contact cleaner where the control knobs are facing. Let it dry out for a day or two. Then put the control knob plate back into the head and put the control knobs back to the bass head and the amp should be sounding good as new.

6. no scratching noises...just shuts out with a low distorted sound and then comes back loud and clear..its just weird..funny thing is that I brought this amp new a year ago and use it like 5 times :(

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I'm sorry to hear about that. It would be best to take it to get repaired. I like gk, I just don't understand why their rb bass heads oftenly have minor issues like these. That's one reason why I replaced it with a different bass head. I still use their neo cabs. If you want to, you can get a new bass head. I would recommend the hartke lh500. I own one and it sounds awesome. The fender rumble would be another good choice. This amp from my perspective sounded like a cross between a fender bassman and a gallien-Krueger. But it's up to you if you want to get your bass head repaired or buy a new bass head.