Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Having issues with my Hanewinckel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by willsellout, Apr 7, 2004.

1. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    I find that my shoulder is hurting or aching when I player on the lower register. The body is smaller so I have to reach a bit more to get to the lower notes. I never had this problem with the lakland or Fenders I had owned in the past..What are some options as far as me keeping it? Any? I know I could sell it or trade it for something a little more fitting but I really love this bass..but not enough to not be able to play for more than 10 minutes on it..suggestions.

Dan

2. boogiebass is our local Hane expert so maybe he'll be along to help. But it's possible the problem lies in your technique and how you're holding the bass.

How do you position your bass when you play it?

3. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    I have beent rying several different positions. Mostly I play at a 45 angle and try to keep my wrists in line. I work hard at having good technique so as not to injure myself. It may just be that I am sore from my workouts and playing bass is aggravating me..I will see. I am gonna stretch and work with how I play to try and get a little more comfortable position. Thanks

Dan

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I used to have a similar issue when I started playing 34" scale Alembics. In this case it was more a fatigue issue than a pain issue. It was due to the longer reach caused by the neck being further out of the body than most basses.

At first I started by playing the bass with the body more along my right hip and the headstock somewhat in front of me. Kind of a 10:30 position if looking down from above, with directly in front being 12:00 and totally to the side being 9:00. Not only did the issue go away in a short period of time, but I also found that I gravitated back towards a 9:00 position in a very short time period, with no fatigue issues.

FWIW - I never had this issue with my Hanewinckels.

Peace,

James

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sorry to hear about your problems with your new Hanewinckel, Dan! :( Like James, I've never experienced anything like what you're describing with any of Pete's basses. But I can see how an instrument that is considerably different than what you're used to could present some adjustment issues. I really don't know what to tell you other than the obvious stuff: relax your arms, lighten your touch, play from a seated position, if possible, etc.

Hope you try a lot of things before you decide to get rid of it. That's a seriously fine bass! In any case, good luck, bro! :) And check with me first before you sell it! ;)

6. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    Im not going to get rid of it..I had this bass made for me to my specs..I can't get rid of it..it is the sound I love..I will work on relaxing and use some different positions to try and get it comfortable. Thanks guys..

Dan

7. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Does it affect you both when you sit and when you stand? If you wear it higher it might help some...

I am truly sorry to hear about this Dan - I know how jazzed you've been about it.

8. Dan;

Have you tried adjusting your strap?
    Sometimes, if you lower it you'd be able to play the lower registers easier without "pushing" to hard.

Jorg

9. Dan, have you tried playing with your bass on your left knee in the "classical guitar position"? (Presuming you're a righty...)
    It'll be easy to keep your bass at 45 degrees, keeping both of your wrists straight, and easier access to the upper registers while bringing the headstock closer.

It's also closer to where most basses hang when standing, than the "usual" right knee way most of us play with...

Other things to try are to play in your usual position on your usual leg, but use a "non skid" pad (like the rubber kind you use to twist jar lids off with) on your leg under the bottom edge of your bass to assit in slight shifting from your usual position without your bass trying to slide off of your leg due to the lower "cut out" being at more of an angle than usual. OR, just tucking your strap through your belt to hold it in a different position. After you get used to that, it may feel more natural when standing later, as well...

Is it possible that the fatique/pain you're feeling could be the subconcious effort of "holding" your neck, supporting either it's weight or keeping it from "wagging" back and forth as you play, rather than just the reaching? it's sometimes easy to miss that and the non skid pad or strap through the belt will let you know pretty quickly.

Hope you can work it out somehow...