1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Having other musicians tour with your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, Feb 11, 2016.

1. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    If you had the opportunity for your favorite player to take your #1 bass on tour with them, would you do it?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I dont want my bass roadworn.

Broke, tekhedd, GregC and 3 others like this.
  3. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    One must earn the patina on his or her instrument.

If you get one that is already worn its not going to be broken in at the same places you will put stress on, the patina will be unbalanced and unatural.

4. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    +1
    Some of my basses are over 18 years old & have seen hundreds of gigs, yet still look like new.
    Years ago, before the term "roadworn" became vogue, we simply called those basses "trashed" or "beat up", and dealers usually offered a healthy discount for such basses, rather than charging extra for them...:smug:

EDIT: OP - you changed your original question, so I'll change my answer.

No.

5. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

hmm this could be considered "road worn"

6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Wow. Didn't expect this to be a roadworn bashing thread.

I have let another musician your with my gear - two Fender USA basses and my SVTCL. I was concerned about, and expecting, some damage, but I did it because he was a friend. I wanted him to go out with good equipment, and I didn't want him to put his family in a bind by spending on a lot of equipment that I already had and could spare.

lomo, Topspin, MrBKerth and 7 others like this.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My number 1 favorite bassist could easily buy basses as good as or better than mine for similar dough plus, I play about 40 shows a year & need mine so, no.

TinIndian, spaz21387 and barginkov like this.
  8. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I was afraid of that. I changed the op :p

9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    No one plays my bass, except me.

Broke, Farseer, reggie hall and 3 others like this.
  10. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    To answer the OP's statement about "#1 player," the basses I sent were not that. The jazz bass had been my number one for several years in the past, though. That wasn't a factor in the decision. I loaned the gear that I thought was appropriate for that particular tour.

...and I forgot, in addition to the SVT CL, the jazz bass and the Precision bass, I also loaned him my LMII as a backup head and my Sadowsky DI, because it is the "magic sauce" for a passive jazz bass.

Tbone76 and Off-Beat like this.
  11. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    What I would like to see is a famous bass player play a pre-chosen group of fans basses on stage.(Raffle?Contest?)
    Lets say six different fan owned basses.

While the band is playing behind him,He would say "This is a Washburn Taurus T-14NMK owned by ---- ------",(the bass owner stands up in the audience.Waves his arms.("That's my bass!!Yeah!")
    The famous bass player gives few comments about the bass while plugging it in and play a few bars of his music.
    He'd then go on to the next bass doing the same.

This way several bass playing fans can hear his or her own bass played on stage by his favorite bass player.

12. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Why? The 'I hate relics' crowd positively pees their pants with anticipation of posting their same tired d'bag comments again.

13. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    I'm old school & sitting in and playing other people's axes was common. Only the most uptight of players wouldn't allow others to play a tune or two.

So yeah I'd allow Marcus to slap my instrument around....

14. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    I actually just let a MONSTER player use my rig on a gig because they couldn't record because of his endorsement so I am open to it. I would let someone use my bass for 1 gig where I was there but NOT an entire tour. not happening unless there is some contract where I get a full replacement if anything happens.

Ghastly and jazzyvee like this.
  15. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Nope. They could play it for a night while was there dropping it off and taking it home, but I wouldn't allow someone to take possession of it let alone for an extended period of time like a tour.

spaz21387 likes this.
  16. Novv

Novv

Oct 30, 2015
    ON, Canada
    I wouldn't let them take my #1 bass, no. But that's because I only have one. :thumbsup:

reggie hall and AshInAmsterdam like this.
  17. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    My favorite players own their own basses.

I like to hear a good player on my gear. If the chance presents itself at a jam, sure, man, take it for a spin. I get out in the room and check out the sound.

Take out on tour? That just seems like a bad idea.

Margus Alviste likes this.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    No. I'm easy going with my gear. I have loaned put lots of stuff.

That being said....

1) You're not taking my gear for weeks.

2) What kind of touring musician can't afford decent gear? Why bother touring if you aren't making any money? I'm confused by the whole premise of the question. What kind of "tour" is this? Seems like a joke.

howlin, Grey.Wolf, Mr.Reed and 2 others like this.
  19. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    nope.....

20. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    That's like asking if someone could tour with my wife! :wideyed: Ain't happening! ;)