1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Having pickups rewound, worth it?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jongor, Mar 9, 2008.

1. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I recently acquired a '78 Jazz with original pickups.

In my effort to quiet the beast I somehow severed one of the coil wires.....:crying:

After looking around here a bit and other sites, I'm wondering if having it rewound is worth it.

I can't imagine there's any guarantee that it will sound the way if did before, or how it will sound at all.

Fralin and Lollar both make era correct pickups that are known to sound a certain way, maybe I should save all the trouble and just buy a new one.

Is it worth having a rewind done? Anyone done this? What were the results?

2. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    The wire's right in the middle of the wind, and it's so thin it's impossible to solder.

3. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    yes

4. any of the pickup experts/manufacturers/custom makers can rewind the pickup to very close to what it should sound. Once you get the specs such as gauge and resistance, you should get pretty pretty close. I would say get it rewound.

5. kevmc28

kevmc28

Feb 28, 2008
    Somerset, NJ, USA
    What does that usually cost? I have one, too.

6. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    So I just had a conversation with Jim Rolph about getting my pickup rewound by him. I got his name from Jason Lollar when I asked if he would rewind it.

Of course he recommends having it done because he says he can get it very close to original specs, and just replacing it would be tough because you have to get the polarity right with the remaining pickup.

He said I couldn't just solder the two ends together, the wire is coated and that needs to be removed to make a good connection.

He knows alot about pickups and loves to share his knowledge!

$95