Having problems with my Ampeg...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by invader3k, Jan 30, 2005.

1. HI all. I've had an Ampeg BA-110 amplifier I use for personal practice. I have had it for a little less than a year, and frankly haven't used it quite as much as I probably should (what I mean is it gets used probably on average once a week). I've noticed over the last month or so that a crackling sound has been coming from the amp. It isn't a constant sound...I usually only hear it when I hit a lower bass note particularly hard. It sounds like distortion of some kind. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's been consistent enough over the past couple weeks that I'm worried. It happens with both of my two bass guitars, and doesn't matter what cable I'm using. Anyone have suggestions what I should do?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    It could be that you are ready to move up to a rig with more watts. Does it go away when you turn it down slightly??
  3. tommytoughnuts

Jan 26, 2005
    take a screw driver and pry the front grill off. look at the woofers. is the lining around the cones worn off in any spots? This could just mean you need to drop in some new woofers-they might be blown out for some reason. did you put an active bass in the passive input? Are the conitions in the room particulary humid or dry? Also, check if some kind of other electronic applaince could be interfering. :cool: good luck.
  4. lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.
    yep sounds like a blown speaker...

like stated above does it go away when you turn down? if so i got money that your speaker is toast

5. Thanks for the advice guys...I took the grill off of the amp, and guess what? The speaker looks pristine. I didn't see any signs of wear, tearing, holes, whatever.

I also moved the amp (it was connected to the same surge protector as my computer). Plugging it directly into an outlet in another room, it seemed like the crackling was greatly reduced. It still did it occasionally, but not as much. It was so reduced that I could probably keep using the amp without being bothered by it. Any other ideas what the problem could be? Maybe my building is just electrically noisy (we are in an apartment in a dorm complex, due to my wife's job)?
  6. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Try cleaning the effects loop jacks (and the input jack). Even if they don't get used, oxidation on the contacts that send the signal thru,( the contacts open when something gets plugged in ) can get dirty and cause static in the signal path. For starters, try just plugging in a 1/4" cable in and out several times and see if that does the trick. There is an input jack cleaning device out there somewhere for several $$ meant to clean those things also.
  7. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I didn't think it was the speaker. Speakers don't go bad just sitting like that.

Because you say it happens on some notes and frequency ranges, this is a vibration-related problem that could be almost anything, but probably not serious.

Just moving the amp (as you did) sometimes affects this.

As mentioned, crud in the jacks, crud in a pot or switch (even on the bass itself!), a loose conection anywhere in the entire primary or secondary circuit, cold joint on the PCB, something touching the speaker cone or frame, voids in the plywood cab, a loose screw...

The "scientific" way techs chase this stuff down is by bumping and prodding things until the sound is replicated. I have found some amazingly obscure causes for vibrational noise. It's an interesting hunt.

Good luck!
  8. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    BTW, just as an example, when I got my recent Ampeg BA-112, it had one of these resonant buzzes that turned out to be the metal insert in the handle strap.