1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Having second doubts about my Trace Elliot GSP7 300W combo amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by morf, Dec 24, 2006.

1. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Like the thread title says, I'm starting to have second doubts about the quality of my Trace Elliot combo amp. I am rioght now at my parents and my brother has been lent a Fender Rumble 100 combo amp. I plugged in the only bass I have here: Cort Action 4, and wow. Now, I dont know if its me, or if something's wrong here, but the tones I get out of this combo are sick. Granted I havent tested many amps, but I never had so much fun playing plugged in. Compared to it, my Trace Elliot really blows. I could never get the tones I get out of this amp with it, and what sickens me is that not only is the TE more expensive, but I use MUCH better basses with it, and still have a crappy tone.

Should I sell and wander into the unknown amp world? What is your experience with Trace Elliot combo amps? Can you relate to this at all?

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    To have a crappy tone with a Trace anything means something is wrong. Now I can understand if the tone just isn't your cup of tea but just flat out sucking...something is wrong with it. Have someone else check it out and see what they say.

3. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    No matter what settings I try even with the EQ thats on it, I just can't seem to find a good tone. My bass instructors have played on it before, but they didnt say anything so I'm guessing it might be the Trace Elliot sound that I dont dig...

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    That could be a real possibility. Some love it, some hate it. Trying to explain that color to people is impossible IME. They just have to experience it.

For me it sounds perfect. Clear yet with that Trace color to it. It's great for the soundtrack work I do. It's also great for getting that "punk" tone when playing with a P bass and a pick and it really cuts through in a metal band.

Are you looking for a more Ampegish type tone or maybe something very clean sounding like SWR?

5. Yeah... I find Trace Elliots really add a lot of it's own character to your tone. I love the pre-amp shaping on my Trace head. It could be your ears aren't looking for that.

6. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I've tried SWR, and I have to admit I have blown away by the sound. Granted, I tried a combo SWR with a Zon Legacy Elite, so I had THE sound right there, dont know if it was so much the SWR as it was the Zon.

Yeah the TE adds alot of its own thing to the sound, I guess thats why no matter what settings I use something bothers me still. Thanks for your help, I may need to make an amp switch then.

7. rhp335

rhp335

Aug 3, 2006
    Kansas City
    The band I'm with has a Rumble 100 at it's practice space that I use and to tell the truth it's a nice sounding amp. But that's in a practice space and not at gig volume. I heard their previous bass player use it at a gig and it was really over powered.

I'd think your Trace would still be preferable in most gig situations, but the Rumble is a surprisingly good little combo.

8. I know EXACTLY what you mean brother...nothing wrong with the amp (I've actually got exactly the same model...and been complimented on my sound MANY times by band mates - but, if the sounds not for you then you have to change it)

I'd recommend a PodXT or else a new amp may be on he cards...

I recently got a Kustom "groovebass" head/4x10 cab and its EXACTLY what I wanted tone wise - vintage tone but can be made modern if I ever need it...they now do Groovebass combos which are also loud b*****ds (600 watts I think they are) so maybe you should look into them, they can be found on ebay for about $500-ish I think - they couldn't sound MORE different to the trace! Good luck on finding a better sound man, I DO think you should try the PODXT first though - its a bit cheaper, and its got a built in tuner...:cool:

9. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Thanks for the tips. I dont think a PodXT is going to be the way I want to go, if the amp isnt right I dont think trying to fix it is the right thing to do, I'll hunt for amps and sell the Trace when I find an amp I really like.