Having some G-string issues!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    OK, so I got some DR Low Riders to go on my 5er. After the stock G-string snapped about a month ago, I got some Pro Steels, and then I just didn't like the sound or feel. Then I got the Low Riders, and now the string snapped again after less than a week of use. What is a good, somewhat bright, but very durable G-string for a replacment? Right now, I just have the Pro Steel on it, and it is too bright and does not feel right.
  2. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    First and foremost I would venture to say that the string snapped because their is something wrong on your bass. Strings are pretty consistent nowadays, and it's unlikely that you got a dud.
    I would check for burrs in the nut, some players smooth out their nut slots by rubbing graphite pencil lead to remove any burrs. Also you could have a problem with your bridge. It'll probably be cheaper in the long run to take the bass to a tech for a quick fix than to stock up on alot of G strings!
  3. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas

+1 I've been using DR's for a long time and have never experienced what you have described.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use DR LR SS and never have broken a string. Check for a burr on ur bridge.
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    There is definately a burr in the bridge now that I check. What can I do about it? Pencil lead?
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Just did a search. It seems like people file their bridges. What kind of file though? I have a metal file, but its not rounded. Would a nail file maybe work? I'm a bit lost...
  7. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm sorry to hear your G-string problems.
    I do believe Victoria's Secret is a good place to get new ones.