Having troble finding the right tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Feb 23, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've been playing bass for almost 3 years. 1 year in a metal band. I picked up a rig about 8 months ago. I found a warm loud tone that I really liked, and stuck with it.

For the new material we are working on I want a tighter, more compressed sound, that still cuts through the insanity of the triple rectifier, and 5150 I play next to.

I play a G&L L2000 (tuned: C-F-A#-D#) through a Trace Elliot GP7SM 250. With a Genz benz 2x10, and a Genz benz 15. The Trace has lots of options for tweaking icluding a 7 band eq. My bass has 2 humbuckers with switchable passive/active modes. I prefer the passive. Would switching to active help me find the tighter sound im looking for?

I know i can get a large array of sounds out of my setup...but i'm not sure how to properly tweak it. Can anyone give me any pointers?
  2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    For a live setting, in order to have 2 tones I can switch between, am I better off using an effect pedal to get a tighter sound?
  3. With the G&L L2000 you have a two position in the middle of the three this is the paralel/series switch this will give you leaner or fatter tone depending on which position it is in . This would be an easy solution for two tone switching live.
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Sansamp RBI is a good way to switch tones with a footswitch. I guess you could also just pick up the BDDI instead, but I would recommend converting from the Trace amp, over to an RBI and Power Amp (Judging by your describtion, as well as your forum name ;))

I did it, and it worked for me while I was in a hardcore band. The project fell apart, but I'm still happy with the investment I made in a power amp. With a power amp, your free to add all kinds of lows and mids and fully experiment with your sound without fear of clipping.

Another idea might be to convert away from the 15" speaker, and maybe look into 12's. I'm not sure what Genz Benz makes, but for your rig's tone, I would think that 10' and 12's would be a good combo... seeing as how a 15 tends to warm up your sound with extra low end.

As far as A changing Effect, again, look into the RBI preamp. I dont really expect to pick one up myself, because when I need to change I use a Boss DS-1 that I have laying around, as well as a Digitech BP50 (fun little toy :smug: )

What kind of money are you working with?
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    try backing off the neck pickup a bit. experiment with slight boosts and cuts in each of the eq sliders, one at a time. and experiemt with different right hand techinques and positions. to me, TE heads always had a pretty tight tone to begin with.
  6. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    try plucking the strings closer to the bridge, if you pluck over the neck pickup that is. if you already play close to the bridge then cut some bass or like ivan said cut some of the neck pickup
  7. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I find that I get the tighter sound active although I like the passive tones as well. I also find that when playing passive, I get a tighter tone if I use only the bridge pickup (and maybe add a touch of bass on the amp). I don't solo the bridge pickup when active though - too bright for my tastes.