having trouble deciding

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Z0r, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Z0r

Jan 16, 2005
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm id go with yammy.
  3. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    I'd go with the Ibanez, but only because I already have experience with a great lower-budget Ibanez. Yamaha, on the otherhand, I've never tried.
  4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Yammy, bad bass that Ibanez is... Well last I played it, not very comfortable, icy sterile tone. I've never played that particular Yamaha, but the ones that I've played that were over 100 were great!
  5. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yammie. IMO, some of the greatest value basses. Love my BBG5S (most of the time).
  6. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Go for Ibanez!
  7. Z0r

Jan 16, 2005
    this aint gettin anywhere real fast lol.. the john myung forum all says yamaha, but theres no surprise whatsoever there
  8. ashevans

Dec 22, 2004
    Oxford, UK
    I never really liked yamaha. Go for the Ibanez, i quite liked it. :D
  9. Z0r

Jan 16, 2005
    well.. i guess ill determine it when i go to guitar center in the next 2 weeks or so
  10. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I've never played a yamaha bass, but I don't like the SRX, so I'd say the yamaha.
  11. i'm in the same dillema Z0r. Trying to decide between the RBX375 and an another inexpensive bass :( . Tell me what you decide and keep me posted on how you like it. :hyper:
  12. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Heh, yeah. That forum is making me sad, all because of BXC.
  13. Did a little diggin around...here's my 2 cents...mind you, I haven't played either of these instruments...I'm going on what others say about it (not what I feel about the brand)

The Ibanez has a scooped out sound...balsy and good for slapping...I might be afraid that it may be a bit brittle. But I've seen no complaints about the B-string...rare for an inexpensive 5er.

The Yamaha, I could only find one review....bass is quiet...has good bottom...B string a bit weak, but not horrible.

Conclusion...FLIP A COIN!

(I'm leaning towards the Ibanez.)
  14. the yam

much better quality and IMHO better re-sale value. Also i played Ibanez years ago and it could only ever produce a sound that was "rock"

Dunno what ur trying to achieve, but if you wanna rock, then go the Ibanez - its all it can do.

If you want some kind of versatile sound, so you can experiment with jazzy tones, pop or etc, then I would go the Yam.

Just my experience with Ibanez talking. In the end, buy the one that sings to your heart, mate.
  15. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Same conclusion I came to. I don't play straight rock, so I hate Ibanez. Cold, sterile, tinny, not warm.
  16. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I like the look of the Ibanez MUCH better.

17. That is the best idea yet!
    That way you are less likely to come home disappointed.
    Each bass feels different to each individual...get one made for you.

18. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    My girlfriend has a Yamaha RBX and it puts my TRB's to shame with the value. Seriously, such a good bass for the price. Go the Yamaha.