1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Having trouble finding a particular type of string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 311fan, Mar 30, 2006.

1. 311fan

311fan Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Ok, back when i first started playing bass I had some fender tapewound strings, but they weren't the kind that fender sale now. The didn't have the black nylon tape. They looked like flats, had a really high tension and produced a really big thump.

I went back to the guitar center I bought them from and they said they had no idea what i was talking about. They checked and said that they weren't even listed on the computer to order them.

Am I just crazy? Did fender discontinue them? Any help would be appreciated.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think you're leaving out a lot of info. What color? How long ago? Maybe they're the black nylon tapewounds but are a different color now. Have you considered that? Have you tried a search of internet shops?

3. 311fan

311fan Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    They are just normal colored strings, silver. This was only 3 or 4 years ago. I am pretty sure they weren't nylon covered either.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Are you sure they weren't flats? You just described the 9050 series. High tension with a big thump.

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    +1 I was thinking the same, but wasn't sure if there had been any other color for tapewounds in the past.

6. 311fan

311fan Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    its possible, but i just have this image stuck in my head of me looking at the package when the salesmen handed me the strings and it saying "tapewound" on the package.