1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Having trouble finding a teacher in the Balto/DC area

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bwsailer79, Apr 11, 2009.

1. bwsailer79

bwsailer79

Aug 5, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Hello all,

I am having a hard time finding a teacher, and I was hoping some of you could give me a few pointers or even recommend someone.

I live in the Washington DC/Baltimore area and I have tried contacting several teachers already with NONE of them returning my calls. After reading some of he other forums and the newbie sections, I've tried calling some of the local Universities to get recommendations. I've also contacted (via facebook since I don't have his phone number anymore) my old teacher from back when I was in high school and I've gotten a few recommendations from a friend of mine who had gotten into the music education field (she plays trumpet though).

I wouldn't think that I'd have a problem finding a good teacher living in this area. I wonder if I am not getting calls back because I always make sure that I mention that I own an EUB? Or am I just not being persistent enough (even though I don't think that I am the one who should be the persistent one, it should be the teacher who I am attempting to give business to). Or am I trying to contact the wrong kinds of teachers, as I've been calling people who specialize in jazz.

PS. If this is in the wrong forum, could one of the moderators move it for me? (I wasn't sure if this belonged in the "Wanted" forum or not since I'm not looking to buy equipment).

Thanks,
    Bruce

2. Hammertime3

Hammertime3

Apr 23, 2008
    Delaware
    There is a member on here that goes by the handle of Wineaux. I have talked to him on PM a few times and I believe I read on one post of his on another forum that he had a teacher. He lives in Gaithersburg, Md, right in the area you described. If you PM him he might be able to help. He is quite active, however, on Bluegrass Bass Place, if you want to look there also.

3. bwsailer79

bwsailer79

Aug 5, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Thanks for responding! Unfortunately, Gaithersburg is a bit of a distance from where I live. I live directly between DC and Baltimore, and I wanted to find a teacher a little closer by. I'm still going to continue my search.

I just get this feeling that I'm not getting call backs from the people I've contacted because I have an EUB.

4. EggyToast

EggyToast

Jan 21, 2006
    Baltimore
    I know a guy in Towson, I'm probably going to get lessons through him if he's available this summer. If Towson's not too far, his name is Adam Hopkins. He does both jazz and classical styles, and plays some pretty avant garde stuff.

I met him through my teacher, back when I had an EUB, and he seemed cool with the idea behind one (especially for transportation purposes). He's occasionally on talkbass, too. http://www.adamhopkinsbass.com/

5. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2006
    MD suburbs
  6. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    AFM Local 161-710 D.C. 202-337-9325
    AFM Local 40-543 Baltimore 410-337-7277

Wally

7. Yeah, I was going to jump in with a suggestion, but when I saw Bruce was in Laurel, I held off. It's the other side of the county by the way the crow flies, but when it comes to roads you can't here from there!

You might call the folks at Bob's House of Basses and see if they can recommend someone.

8. funknasty

funknasty

Apr 4, 2008
    South Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Tasty Kake Krimpets
    Anthony Wellington!!!!!!!!! Anthony plays bass and is the bass tech in Victor Wootens band(need I say more). Anthony has a studio in Calvert County somewhere. I studied with Anthony up here in PA for a while and he is nothing short of amazing. He is a musicians musician and one of the coolest most knowledgable guys you will ever meet. Go to www.bassology.net to find out more. I did just notice that you play upright and I am not sure if Anthony does but he can tech you a ton about theory and other stuff. Definately worth a phone call. Good luck!

9. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Amy Shook is a wonderful jazz bassist in the DC area and she teaches. http://www.amyshook.com/

Also, many of the top level military bands are located near DC (Jazz Ambassadors, The President's Own, Pershing's Own) and the bass players for those bands are excellent. You could contact any of those bands and speak to their bassist. Good Luck and get ready to pay $60+ an hour!

10. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Anthony sure is great...but, as far as I know, we're not talkin' bout electric bass on this side of the house. :smug:

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Outside of rush hour it's well under an hour away. It's closer to you than Towson. I live in Gaithersburg and frequently go to Atomic Music in Beltsville (directly south of Laurel) and usual do that trip in less than 30 minutes.

12. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    Try sending a P.M. to Tom Baldwin "T-Bal" . I believe he lives in your neck of the woods.

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    My friend plays in the Jazz Ambassadors, I can have him ask the bass player if he's available for lessons if you want. They are in the middle of a tour right now but should be back in a few weeks. Some other friends play in the Airmen of Note and could also ask the bass player in that band too.

14. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    I posted an add on Craigslist looking for a teacher in Baltimore and I got several responses. Don't remember their names but you could try it.

Peace,

Vice.

15. JAKBOUND

JAKBOUND

Dec 14, 2007
    Houston
    Try George Vance at Slava Publishing (Slavapub.net) Silver Springs. He sells Eminence EUBs and teaches. The web site has a ton of information on his lessons etc.

16. I will "second" George Vance. I've played with him and I've played with his students. He has a national reputation as a teacher and author of method books.